How much do you love running? If you’re anything like me, you probably enjoy a good run every day if possible. It’s your passion, your favorite exercise, and the way that you let off steam.
There is nothing quite like putting your headphones in, turning up the music, and setting out to run. It’s a great way to forget the world and just have time with you and your thoughts while allowing endorphins take over.
With our busy lives, it can often be challenging to find the time to run. This means that some of us may have to go for a jog in the early dawn before work. Others of us may choose to go at night to relieve the tension from our busy days.
Either way, you want to go prepared to stay safe while running in low light settings. Whether you run in a park or near a busy road, it’s always best to ensure that you can see well. It’s also a good idea to make sure that motorists have no problem viewing you from afar.
A product that will do a lot of good is a headlamp. While at first, you may envision bulky headlamps that belong on a miner, you’d be surprised at just how lightweight this kind of running gear can be.
With a large variety to choose from on the market, the following running headlamp reviews will give you an idea of what to look for. From fancy features to simple options, there is something for every preference on our list below.
Our Top 10 Best Running Headlamp Recommendations
Running gear is great for those who take their jogging seriously. With so many items to search through, it can be overwhelming to know which one is best for you. The products below all have some kind of feature that makes them stand out, but there are plenty more to choose from. The good news is that you’re bound to find the ideal running headlight for you below.
| #1 - Black Diamond Sprinter Headlamp || Variety In Settings||5.0 stars out of 5|
| #2 - Foxelli USB Rechargeable Headlamp Flashlight || Waterproof And Lightweight||4.5 stars out of 5|
| #3 - SmarterLife LED Headlight || Affordable And Lightweight||4.5 stars out of 5|
Table of Contents
- 1 Our Top 10 Best Running Headlamp Recommendations
- 1.1 1. Black Diamond Sprinter Headlamp: Variety In Settings
- 1.2 2. Foxelli USB Rechargeable Headlamp Flashlight: Waterproof And Lightweight
- 1.3 3. SmarterLife LED Headlight: Affordable And Lightweight
- 1.4 4. VITCHELO V800 Headlamp: Highly Versatile For Multi-tasking
- 1.5 5. Foxelli Flashlight: Durable And Lightweight Light
- 1.6 6. Black Diamond Spot: Stylish And Easy To Use
- 1.7 7. Wowtac A2S LED: Heavy Duty
- 1.8 8. Cosoos Jogging Head Lamp: Cheap And Simple
- 1.9 9. icefox Rechargeable: Easy To Charge
- 1.10 10. DanForce American Design: When You Really Need Light
- 2 What Features You Need To Focus On
- 3 Conclusion
For some runners, a simple headlight does just fine. For others who perhaps run near busy traffic areas, the need for variety is important. The Black Diamond is a favorite for many with its various light settings, so you can make sure that you are always visible. You can use the light at full strength, set it to strobe lights, or dim it for when the sun starts coming out.
The triple power LED light has 200 lumens so you can trust in its strength and visibility. It also has a red taillight strobe for added safety.
The Black Diamond has a lithium polymer battery that is rechargeable, so you can always be sure to have power. Just make sure that you have 5 hours of time to charge it in between jogs.
It is a one size fits all headlamp, so it will fit most runners. The straps are adjustable, so you can easily tighten it or loosen it according to your preference. While it is a bit costlier than most, it provides a stronger light than most.
- It’s lightweight and comfortable to wear, so you won’t be bothered wearing it
- It has a very powerful light, so you can be sure to be seen at all times
- The rechargeable battery makes it easy for you, so that you can always be sure to have power
- The straps are adjustable, so you can make sure that it fits perfectly for your jogs
- It has great variety in light settings, so you can use the one that best suits your needs
- It isn’t as low-priced as some other options, which could affect budget shoppers
- It doesn’t alert you to low battery, which could be an irritating factor for some
As any runner knows, sometimes the weather isn’t your friend. You may want to go for a run in sunny weather, but you may not always get to. This is why a waterproof headlamp is a great thing to have.
With 280 lumens in the LED light, you can trust that this beauty has the power you need for alerting motorists to your presence. Not only is the light bright, but you can also set it to your favorite setting. From an SOS mode to an emergency whistle, the Foxelli has everything you need for the safest run ever.
With adjustable straps, you can make sure to get it to the right size for your head shape. The body can be tilted at a 90-degree angle for better visibility. The elastic headband is comfortable enough to wear for a long run. Because it can be charged in any USB outlet, it is very easy to keep it powered up for your daily jogs. It even includes two USB cables, so you’re never left without light for your early morning exercise.
- It offers great lighting for your late night or early morning running, so you can always be seen
- It’s designed to withstand the elements, so you can go for a run, no matter the weather
- It’s more affordable than other similar options, so you don’t have to spend too much to stay safe
- It includes two USB cables, so you never run out of power
- It offers variety in light modes for your preferences
- It tends to lose power after about six or more months of use, which means that you’ll need to invest in a new one
- It isn’t as comfortable as some other options, which could irritate some people
The SmarterLife is highly comfortable, with no top strap and a lightweight design. It’s made to fit on your forehead with a curved body. With adjustable straps, you can always make sure that it fits perfectly—after all who wants their headlamp to slide down while jogging.
The SmarterLife is water-resistant, so if you’re a jogger who enjoys running in any type of weather, you don’t have to worry about rain. It also means that you won’t have to be concerned about sweat ruining it.
With 6 different light modes, you can make sure to have the lighting you need when you need it. Whether you just need dim light for your run or prefer to have it set in SOS mode or the red light, you can easily switch between modes whenever you want to.
The SmarterLife is available in a variety of colors, so you can always be sure to match your outfit. If the light doesn’t catch motorists’ attention, your headlamp’s bright color surely will. Best of all, this option is decently priced, so you can easily buy a couple of them for variety.
- The light lasts for up to 8 hours, so you can easily go for a week without charging it
- It has a bright, eye-catching design that looks good and catches people’s attention
- It is affordably priced, so you don’t have to spend too much on a headlamp
- It runs on AA batteries, which makes it very easy to charge
- It has a large variety of light modes for any of your lighting needs while running
- It isn’t as bright as some other options, making it a challenge to use in darker areas
- The SmarterLife’s battery life isn’t as great as some other headlamps, which could affect your routine
The VITCHELO V800 makes it easy to do what you need to do in low-light situations. Whether you want it for running or want to have it in case you need it, this headlamp is helpful for a variety of reasons.
With two individual buttons for controlling your light, the VITCHELO is a no-fuss headlamp. Because you want to focus on running and not on fumbling with your headlamp, this easy-to-adjust design is ideal.
The strap itself is soft and can be adjusted to fit your head size. You want something that fits you well but that is also comfortable to wear and the VITCHELO does a good job at this. Because most runners are all about that battery life with their headlights, you’ll be pleased to know that this beauty can run on 3 AAA batteries that provide 120 hours of light. Something else that you’ll love is that the VITCHELO is water-resistant. Everyone knows that running in warm weather can cause sweat. You don’t want to lose your headlamp to sweat, and this feature helps out a lot. The VITCHELO makes it easy for users and is offered at a great price.
- With dual buttons, you can easily control light modes while running
- The strap is easy to adjust, so that you can always have the perfect fit
- It provides lighting of up to 360 feet, so you can easily see what’s going on in front of you on your run
- The headlight comes with a set of 3 AAA batteries, so that you can start using it right away
- It is more comfortable than many other options, making it ideal for faithful joggers
- It isn’t fully waterproof, so you may not want to use it in the rain
- The red light isn’t the strongest, which could be a negative factor for you
If you’re someone who really can’t stand wearing things on your head, but you run at night, consider this Foxelli. It certainly isn’t the prettiest design, but you’ll barely feel a thing when you wear it. In fact, it very well may be the lightest headlamp for running that you can find.
The headband is ergonomically designed and made from elastic, so that it can fit comfortably. No one wants to wear a headband that feels tight while running. It isn’t comfortable, and it isn’t safe.
This Foxelli runs on 3 AAA batteries, and it comes with the first three you need included. The light itself is waterproof, so your light will keep working, even in wet weather. It has various white and red light modes, and it also has strobe and SOS settings. The built-in timer is ideal for when you want to quickly shut off your light. It is also resistant to cold and impact, making it one of the more durable options around. Plus, it’s offered at a great price.
- It is very lightweight, so you will barely feel it while running
- It is water, cold, and impact resistant, which helps to make it a long-lasting option
- It has variety in light settings, so you can change it to your preferred mode while running
- It is easy to maintain power as the Foxelli runs on three AAA batteries
- It’s low priced, so you can easily afford it
- The body isn’t as strong as some other options, which could be a factor in your decision
- The strap tends to slip a lot, which could become irritating while running
The Black Diamond Spot looks good. As a runner, you probably pay close attention to what you wear and with good reason. When you look good, you feel good, and it always helps to feel great while jogging.
Aside from its trendy design, the Black Diamond also has some quality features. For example, the LED lights have quite the powerful shine. Emitting 300 lumens, you can be sure that you will clearly see in front of you in the dark.
With distance modes, strobe light, night vison, and more, you can always have the setting you want when you need it. Fortunately, it’s easy to switch between modes with the PowerTap technology to have full or dim light.
There is also a feature called Brightness Memory. It allows you to set your headlamp to your favorite setting, without having to go through all of modes over and over again. Because runners love to exercise any time or whatever the weather, the waterproof feature is highly attractive. Many consider it to be the best trail running headlamp around.
- The LED lights offer bright lights, so you can easily run on a dark trail
- The headband stays secure, so you don’t have to worry about slippage while running
- It’s a product that offers top value for a good price, so you don’t have to spend too much on good quality
- It has a large variety of light settings, making it easy to use for all kinds of situations
- It’s easy to adjust brightness even while running, so you can dim or brighten according to your needs
- The area around the lamp is slightly uncomfortable, so it could be annoying for some
- The red light is a bit too dim for many people’s preferences
If you want something that can last for long hikes and adventures, the Wowtac is ideal. Not only is it designed for rough conditions, but it also has a high-performance LED light, so you can always see clearly at night.
With 5 different light modes, you can be sure to have the light you need at any given time. From turbo mode to SOS, this light won’t leave you stranded. It’s easy to adjust settings on the right side of the lamp. You can even do it as you run.
While it is a bit heavier than some options, due to its heavy duty design, it’s still lightweight enough that it won’t be too heavy for running. The light itself can be used as a flashlight for other situations, such as camping or when the electricity goes out.
Because the Wowtac is made from aircraft grade aluminum and is waterproof, it’s ideal for anyone who needs a strong headlamp that will last.
- It is a strong and durable light, which makes it ideal for hiking or running in rough conditions
- It has a strong light that will help you to see clearly during late night or early morning jogs
- It has a rechargeable battery, so that you always have power in your light
- It’s made from durable materials, so you can rest assured that it will last for a while
- The battery charges very quickly, so it’s very easy to use the headlamp daily
- It gets really hot while charging, so you’ll want to be careful
- It can turn on by itself, which can make the battery run out quickly
When you really don’t want to spend too much, but you want a headlamp for your jogging, the Cosoos is the answer. It’s unique one-strap design allows for a lightweight fit while still providing security. The strap is adjustable, which helps you to get the right fit every time. It is also longer than most, so it fits even more types of head shapes.
While it isn’t fancy and doesn’t offer a huge variety, you’ll appreciate the 3 light modes. It runs on AAA batteries, so it isn’t hard to recharge it when necessary. The lamp itself swivels at a 45-degree angle and it also water-resistant.
The light itself gives of a relatively good amount of light, especially for its small size. If you are looking for something to use on your daily run, this is an ideal choice. It’s extremely affordable and simple to use.
- It’s highly affordable, which is an attractive factor for many
- Its sleek design means that it’s lightweight and easy to run with
- The small lamp doesn’t get in the way yet still provides plenty of light
- It is easy to charge with rechargeable batteries, so that you always have power
- It’s easy to change between the 3 light modes, so you can have a drama-free run
- It’s a bit flimsier than most, so caution should be exercised while handling
- It doesn’t hold a charge for very long, so you’ll want to have some backup batteries ready
The icefox isn’t for the fainthearted. It’s big and bulky and could get in the way for some runners. Yet if you’re a hiker who wants to hike at night, you’ll appreciate its strength and power for those dark nights.
The icefox has 4 different light modes and is also 90-degree rotatable. With 6000 lumen, it certainly has the power you need for hiking or running. It is powered by two rechargeable batteries and can last for up to 8 hours when charged fully.
Although it is a rather large headlamp, it is made from lightweight materials, so it won’t be too heavy to wear. Bear in mind, that the materials used on the icefox aren’t as durable as other options.
If you want a reasonably priced option that offers the brightness you want, the icefox is a good choice.
- It has big lights that offer the brightness you want for a great run at night
- It has decent light modes, so you can have the variety you need
- It has an adjustable strap, so you can make sure that it fits perfectly
- It is inexpensive, so you don’t need to spend over your budget
- It has great battery life, so you can use it daily
- The charging cable is a bit too short for comfort
- The battery box can get in the way at times, which makes it slightly uncomfortable
You won’t be in the dark when you use the DanForce. This patriotic design is perfect for the American who wants to stay safe at all costs. With 3 Cree LED bulbs, you can get the light coverage you need. No more tripping in the dark when you use the DanForce and its dual headlamps.
While some headbands can get uncomfortable in warm weather, the DanForce is sweat-resistant, so you never have to worry about a sweaty, smelly one. It’s also very easy to adjust to your head size, so your jogs can be slippage-free.
The lamps are waterproof, so you can use it for hiking or simply running in wet weather. The rubber sealing also keeps them perfectly safe from ice or sand. Because you always want it to be powered up, you’ll appreciate that the DanForce includes a USB cable, charger, rechargeable batteries, and 2 sets of colored lenses. If you’re looking for an affordable option that has everything you need, this is it.
- It has 6000 lumens, which offers optimal brightness
- It’s great for use in warm weather, so you can wear it without sweating
- It’s ideal for use in all kinds of conditions, thanks to its air-tight rubber sealing
- It has a unique design that is perfect for the patriotic runner
- It includes everything you need for charging and power, so you can always keep it going
- It’s a bit bulky, which can be annoying while running
- The battery box is a bit flimsy for use in the rain, which could affect your running
What Features You Need To Focus On
As you shop around for the perfect running headlamp for you, you will want to take some factors into consideration. The following features are some of the most important factors to pay attention to.
You may find the most beautiful running headlight, but as you put it on, you discover how uncomfortable it really is. Weight matters more than you think when it comes to headlamps.
Not only is it uncomfortable to run with a heavy thing on your head, it’s not good for you and it isn’t necessary. The more lightweight the better, but you do want to be careful about sacrificing quality and strength when choosing a light one.
If you have the opportunity to try on a headlamp before purchasing, do so. You can walk around for a bit to get the feel of it. Imagine running for 5 or 10 miles with it on. Do you think it could start to feel heavy? Try another one.
This feature is certainly important, because after all, what is a headlamp without the shine? Of course, how bright you need largely depends on what you will use it for. If you are going for a run in the park near your home, you will probably be fine with 300 lumens.
If you want to use it for hiking or running on trails at night, you’ll want to consider a stronger option. You want to be able to see ahead of you while running and also alert motorists to your presence.
You have to be very careful when choosing your headband and its straps. Many headlamps may look amazing and seem to adjust well, but there are the few that tend to slip while running.
Look for an option that can hold the strap into place tightly once you have adjusted it to your size. The more secure it feels, the better. Just make sure that the straps you check out are long enough for your head size.
You’ll also want to consider whether you want a strap that just wraps around your head. Or, if you want one that has a strap running on the top of your head and around the sides. Some people prefer the latter for the security it provides, but it depends on your preference.
Imagine preparing for a great hike. You have everything ready to set out on your adventure, but then you realize that your light is about to go out. To avoid these scenarios, pay close attention to your battery life.
Some run on batteries that are easy to recharge or change out. Others can be charged by a USB cable. Which kind do you think would work best for you? That’s the one that you want to go for.
If you truly love running or hiking, you probably don’t care what the weather is like outside. This is why you will want to look for a weather resistant lamp. There are many that are water-resistant, which can work to keep sweat at bay. But, if you really want to be sure, choose water resistant options with air-tight rubber seals, so you can wear them whether it snows or rains.
Why A Headlamp Is A Must For Your Safety
You’ve probably seen plenty of joggers wearing reflective vests or gear in the early morning. Why would you choose a headlamp for running? The positive thing about wearing a headlamp is that you alert others to your presence before they get too close.
With reflective gear, the motorist may be too close for comfort by the time they see you. It’s also highly beneficial in keeping you from falling or tripping over things. Because you can’t see as well as you would in daylight, you could be apt to falls and accidents without one.
If you happen to be a hiker, the headlamp can both allow you to hike at night and also alert rescuers to your presence, should you need to.
Are you someone who loves running? If you are just beginning to get into it or have been running for years, you could benefit from a headlamp. It may be an adjustment if you have never used one before, but it’s going to keep you safe and help you to run better.
The above options are just some of the most affordable lamps on the market for runners. They offer the quality that you can depend on without taking a huge bite out of your pocket. Are you ready to start your routine, no matter the weather? One of these headlamps is just waiting to keep you safe while you’re at it. From simple and affordable options to fancier options with a lot of different light modes, there is something for everyone. Which one would work best for you?