It’s vacation season around the corner, and you’re probably thinking of great ways to enjoy life and have some fun. If you’ve chosen a beach destination, you’re bound to have the time of your life enjoying water sports and activities.
One of the best activities to do in exotic destinations is snorkeling. Snorkeling is a lot of fun for marine life lovers who want to get a glimpse of the majestic creatures under the ocean. Whether you love to see colorful fish or you are preparing to meet humpback whales or whale sharks, you want to make sure that you can capture the moments that you won’t ever want to forget. So, make sure to bring a GoPro
Here are some of our top GoPro snorkeling tips:
- Make sure you get the best one for underwater use. There are several different kinds of GoPros. Some are created for use while in the great outdoors and are built to last under heavy weather conditions. Others are made to capture sports and high-energy activities. While others are designed to be used underwater, many of the above-water cameras do offer waterproof protection; you want to use one that is designed to capture pictures underwater, for the best results.
- Take photos with the burst mode. The burst mode is very helpful for when you’re filming with large ocean creatures that tend to swim very fast. For example, trying to get a whale shark to pose for your picture is about as silly as hoping to see a unicorn—it’s just not going to happen. So, if you take your photos in the burst mode, you can be pretty sure that one of the pictures is going to capture the beautiful “beast” in all of its glory.
- Switch up modes every now and then. Of course, if you’re swimming with your friends in shallow waters and admiring the fish and coral reefs, as well as a few friendly sea turtles here and there, you can take some time to capture “poses” so to speak. Don’t just depend on one mode for the perfect shots. Switch it up, and you’re bound to get some pretty good pictures while swimming in the great blue.
- Consider using lens filters. Lens filters can help to brighten and enhance the colors underwater. Because water can affect the view from your camera, lens filters can improve the captures you get underwater. This way, you don’t have to worry about editing great shots on things like Instagram.
- Make sure that you have the right accessories for keeping the GoPro on you. While selfies in the shallow water may be just fine with the GoPro stick, if you plan on swimming in the deep ocean with the gentle giants, the selfie stick is not going to cut it. You may end up losing both the stick and the GoPro, and you don’t want to do either—both for your sake and the animals’ environment. Whether you wear it on your head or on your wrist, make sure that it stays on you. Selfie sticks may have a wristband to help you keep it on you, but you’re still going to need to exercise caution when snorkeling with the big fish, so it doesn’t get knocked by other swimmers or fish in the excitement of the experience. If you really want to make sure that you don’t lose it, attach a bright floaty device to it, so if it does get lost, it will float right to the top of the ocean for you to find.
- Lick your GoPro. We’re not being weird. Licking the screen of your GoPro will clear away water droplets from the lenses, so you get the clear, beautiful shots that you’re hoping for. Of course, this is for when you want to take shots above water, and isn’t something you need to worry about when taking pictures below the surface of the ocean.
- One last tip: Always respect ocean life when swimming in the sea. You’re visitors in the animals’ home, and it’s important to act like it. Too many people snorkel carelessly, using harmful sunblock, losing items as they go, and getting too close to animals. Keep your distance, keep your gear with you, and enjoy the visit.
Whether you’re visiting Tulum or you’re visiting the Great Barrier Reef, taking your GoPro with you is a great idea. You’re going to see some of the most beautiful animals and scenery that exists in the world when you go underwater.
Knowing how to use your gear and what are the best ways to get great shots will go far in you capturing amazing pictures to look back on years later. Who doesn’t enjoy reliving great memories through incredible photographs? I know I sure do.