Volleyball has become an increasingly popular sport both in schools around the country and in amateur clubs as well. As a non-contact sport it is ideal for all types of athletes. And the great thing is that you can play indoor and outdoor, as well as at the beach.
As a school teacher I’m involved in coaching both girls and boys volleyball teams and one thing I often see is players turning up with the wrong types of shoes.
If you’re going to play this sport competitively, even as an amateur, then having the right footwear will make a huge difference. But the question I often get is asked is difficult to answer in one sentence: what sneakers should I buy for playing volleyball?
A lot will depend on what kind of support you need and at what level you’re playing. Some people need arch and ankle support, while others what to go for something with extreme cushioning and lightweight materials.
To help you decide which ones will be best suited, we’ve put together this guide of the latest and greatest options. We cover all budgets for both men and women, so just keep reading to find your ideal pair.
Our Top 10 Best Volleyball Shoes Recommendations
From girls volleyball shoes to cheap volleyball shoes, there is something for everyone on this list. What are you looking for? You’ll be sure to find it here. While there are many more options on the market, any of the following 10 reviews will be a great choice to make.
| #1 - Mizuno Women's Wave Hurricane 2 || Flexible And Highly Protective||5.0 stars out of 5|
| #2 - ASICS Men's Gel-Rocket 8 || Great Cushioning And Supportive||4.5 stars out of 5|
| #3 - Mizuno Women's Wave Lightning Z3 || Breathable And Attractive Design||4.0 stars out of 5|
Table of Contents
- 1 Our Top 10 Best Volleyball Shoes Recommendations
- 1.1 1. Mizuno Women's Wave Hurricane 2: Flexible And Highly Protective
- 1.2 2. ASICS Men's Gel-Rocket 8: Great Cushioning And Supportive
- 1.3 3. Mizuno Women's Wave Lightning Z3: Breathable And Attractive Design
- 1.4 4. NIKE Women's Air Zoom Hyperace: Stylish And Lightweight
- 1.5 5. ASICS Women's Gel-Rocket 8 Volleyball Shoe: Reliable And Strong
- 1.6 6. Adidas Men's Ligra 5 Volleyball Shoe: Breathable And Durable
- 1.7 7. ASICS Women's Gel Tactic: Protective And Ideal For Transitioning
- 1.8 8. ASICS Men's Upcourt 2: Good Cushioning
- 1.9 9. Mizuno Women's Wave Bolt 5: Great Traction
- 1.10 10. ASICS Men's Gel-Netburner Ballistic: Wide Shoes
- 2 What Features You Need To Focus On
- 3 Is Wearing A Multi-Sport Shoe An Option?
- 4 Conclusion
1. Mizuno Women's Wave Hurricane 2: Flexible And Highly Protective
As a volleyball player, you want to wear something that will keep your feet safe throughout an intense game. Yet you also want to make sure that it allows you the flexibility you need for transitioning.
The Mizuno Wave Hurricane have a parallel wave technology which ensures that you don’t receive the shock of impact. It also allows for more stable wear. With extra grade rubber, you will have the traction you need to avoid slippage.
The outsole is non-marking and the rubber sole is both durable and reliable. Made from synthetic and textile materials, as well as air mesh, you can get the breathability you need without sacrificing quality. They aren’t the cheapest pair of volleyball court shoes, but they do provide looks, support, and quality you’re looking for in your volleyball apparel.
- They are made from durable materials, so you can trust that these will last the whole season
- They will keep your feet safe from the shock of impact, which is great for any volleyball player
- They have a great grip, so you can jump and transition calmly
- They are sturdy and provide stability without feeling too heavy, so you can play in them comfortably
- They are an attractive pair of shoes, so you can feel confident wearing them
- The sizing runs small, so be careful when choosing your pair
- They are a bit pricey, although their quality lives up to expectations
2. ASICS Men's Gel-Rocket 8: Great Cushioning And Supportive
If you are a man who needs a pair of comfortable volleyball shoes, consider these ASICS. Offered at a relatively fair price, they have some top features that mean comfort for anyone who wears them.
With forefoot GEL cushioning system, you can trust that they will keep your feet protected from impact in a game. The Trusstic System Technology helps this pair to feel light while still promising stable and sturdy wear.
You want a pair of shoes that don’t weigh you down, so you can move around freely as needed, but you don’t want them to be so light, you have no support. That’s why these ASICS are a favorite for many.
Available in a few different colors, you can choose the pair that best suits your taste. The gum rubber outsole is both durable and provides good grip. They have a non-marking outsole and they are ideal for court volleyball.
- They have good traction, so you can rely on them as you play
- They have great cushioning, which is ideal for those who need it
- They have a lightweight feel, so you can play comfortably for hours
- They fit well on those with wide feet, which is great if you are someone who has a hard time finding the right fit
- They offer stability and support while also protecting your feet as you play
- They don’t have the best arch support, which could affect you if you have issues with your feet
- They aren’t as flexible as other cheap volleyball shoes
3. Mizuno Women's Wave Lightning Z3: Breathable And Attractive Design
Made from synthetic and imported materials, this pair is durable and comfortable to wear. The non-marking outsole is ideal for court volleyball games. They have a parallel wave plate, as well as Dynamotion fit for more advanced use. They are flexible and reliable for quick transitions.
With a Mizuno intercool feature and air mesh, they are breathable enough to wear throughout the year. The sole offers an ideal grip while on the court, so you don’t have to fear slippage. They also offer great support, so you can rely on them for long days of volleyball and sports.
While some girls volleyball shoes tend to stick to the floor due to gummy rubber, these allow you to move around as needed. They do take time to break in and may feel a bit too narrow for those with wide feet, but the quality and price are right for most.
- They are made from durable materials, so you can depend on them for months to come
- They allow for flexible wear and transitioning, which is always a must for games
- They feel light on the court, so you can wear them for hours without feeling discomfort
- They offer great cushioning and comfort, so you can enjoy pain-free games
- They offer top quality for a reasonable price, which is always a great combination
- The sizing runs small, so you’ll need to be cautious when purchasing your pair
- They take a while to break in, so you’ll want to be patient with them at the beginning
4. NIKE Women's Air Zoom Hyperace: Stylish And Lightweight
Even if you’re looking for comfort, you most likely also care about style. It certainly isn’t the most important feature, but if you appreciate beauty, these NIKE shoes are quite gorgeous. More than their looks, they also offer some ideal features for volleyball. For example, the rubber outsole is designed to provide you with traction on hardcourts. If you are a volleyball player who plays on indoor courts, these are ideal.
The pull tab on the heel makes it easy for you to get these on and off. With a Zoom Air unit, these have light cushioning to keep your feet comfortable throughout the entire game. Because the cushioning isn’t very thick, you don’t have to worry about the shoes feeling too heavy after hours of use.
Because you never want to sacrifice support, you’ll appreciate the TPU cage that aids in a stable fit. The mesh material allows for breathability, so you can stay comfortable, no matter the weather.
If you’ve been looking for a pair of stylish shoes that also provide the reliable features you need for volleyball, these shoes may be the option for you.
- They are available in a variety of colors, so you can pick the perfect color for your volleyball gear
- They are easy to put on and take off, which makes it easy to get in the game
- They have nice cushioning that is just the right amount to keep you safe during impact
- They are an attractive pair, so they are perfect for the fashion-friendly volleyball player
- They offer ideal support, so you can rely on them for the stability you need in your game shoes
- They are a bit narrow, so they won’t feel that great on people with wide feet
- They don’t have as much as traction as other options, which could be an issue for some
5. ASICS Women's Gel-Rocket 8 Volleyball Shoe: Reliable And Strong
If you’re a player who stays busy, you want a pair that keep up with you. These ASICS are a favorite for many women who enjoy court volleyball. The forefoot Gel cushioning system will keep your feet safe from the impact caused by jumping and transitioning.
The Truss tic System Technology means that the shoe is light enough to feel comfortable throughout a game, but doesn’t lose it’s stability and support. The rubber sole allows for good traction and grip, so you don’t have to worry about slipping during your game.
This attractive design is available in different colors. Whether you like pink or sky blue, or prefer white or black, you can choose your favorite Gel-Rockets.
If you’re looking for a great pair of shoes that you can rely on, these ASICS are ideal when it comes to both quality and appearance. They may not look as light as some other options, but they are actually quite comfortable and easy to play in.
- They have removable inserts for those who need it, just in case you need to use orthotics
- The non-marking soles are ideal for court volleyball games
- They are lightweight and easy to play in, making them a favorite for many players
- They are stylish and attractive, so if you’re a fashion conscious player, you’ll like them
- They are comfortable to wear with cushioning, making them a great shoe to depend on
- They are somewhat narrow, so if you have wide feet, they may not be ideal for you
- They don’t offer the best arch support, which could be an issue if you have foot problems
6. Adidas Men's Ligra 5 Volleyball Shoe: Breathable And Durable
These unique yet stylish ones are perfect for the volleyball player who wants durability and breathability. With an air mesh upper, these shoes are comfortable enough to wear in the summer. The synthetic and imported materials ensure that they will last for a whole season of games.
The synthetic overlays add support and the mesh lining helps to keep them aired out. The ADIWEAR outsole is strong and durable and also offers fair traction for good grip on the court.
While they take some time to break in, they offer a stable and supportive fit, to help keep your feet safe during the game. They also have a wider feet than many other youth volleyball shoes, making them a favorite for people with wide feet.
If you’re looking for a good-looking pair that will keep up with the demands of your sport, these are a great option.
- They are attractive, so if you care about style, these are for you
- They have a great outsole, that is both durable and reliable for your sport
- They offer ankle support, which is important when playing volleyball
- They are nice and wide, which isn’t always easy to find
- They are made from durable materials that also offer breathable wear
- The stitching could be better, as they may tear with heavy and frequent use
- They won’t fit you that well if you have narrow feet
7. ASICS Women's Gel Tactic: Protective And Ideal For Transitioning
Any volleyball player knows that you have to wear shoes that are flexible enough for sudden transitions. These ASICS have a rearfoot gel cushioning system that helps your feet stay safe upon impact. It also helps you to be able to move easily and suddenly without injuring your feet.
The rubber sole offers decent traction and is also durable enough for wear on the court. The Trusstic system ensures stability without making these too heavy to wear. Because volleyball is quite an intense sport, you’ll appreciate the toe guard for a safer experience. No one wants to stub their toe while playing volleyball.
This shoe is available in many different colors. You can choose a pair you like or as many as needed for the season. If you’re looking for a sturdy option that is attractive and affordable, these may be the ones for you.
- They are made from durable materials, which means that they will last for quite a while
- The toe guard is a great feature for those who want to ensure that their whole foot stays protected during the game
- They have a rearfoot gel cushioning system, which is highly beneficial in attenuating shock
- They are sturdy yet lightweight, making them a comfortable option
- They have good traction, so you can depend on them for quick transitions during your game
- The sizing runs small, so be careful about measurements when you buy your pair
- Some may consider the fit to be a bit too narrow, so be careful if you have wider feet
8. ASICS Men's Upcourt 2: Good Cushioning
These ASICS may not look like much with a simple appearance, but they have the features that you need for volleyball. The Gum rubber outsole offers enough traction for a good grip as you play and is also durable enough to last the whole season.
Made from synthetic and imported materials, they won’t deteriorate easily. The rearfoot GEL cushioning helps you to get the support and comfort you need to stay pain-free during your game.
The synthetic leather overlays and mesh underlays allow for breathable wear, so you can use these shoes, no matter the weather. While they aren’t the prettiest pair of shoes, they offer the functionality that you need.
With padding in the toe area, it’s easier to make transitions without worrying about pain. As a lightweight pair, they won’t feel heavy, no matter how long you play. They may not look like a very stable pair at first glance but they are decently sturdy and your feet will stay safe during impact.
- If you have wide feet, you’ll appreciate the fit of these ASICS
- They are made from breathable materials, so you can wear them, no matter the season
- The cushioning helps your feet to stay comfortable and protected, even upon impact
- They are made from quality materials, which makes them a highly durable shoe
- They offer fair quality for a reasonable price, making them an attractive purchase
- The sizing is somewhat large, so check out measurements before purchase
- They may feel too flimsy and light to some players, which could make you feel like they aren’t that supportive
9. Mizuno Women's Wave Bolt 5: Great Traction
These shoes offer as much stability and support as they would appear to. Their strong structure ensures safe wear on the volleyball court. While they aren’t as lightweight as some other women’s volleyball shoes, they offer the features that you want for the game.
The rubber sole offers a high traction grip as you play, so there is no chance that you will slip. With parallel wave technology, the whole of your foot will receive impact and not just your heel or arch. This helps to ensure that you don’t injure yourself.
The Dynamotion groove allows for flexibility and also combats stress on your foot. Made from mesh and synthetic materials, the design is breathable and comfortable to wear. If you want a pair that won’t hurt your feet and will work well for volleyball, these Mizuno are ideal.
- They make it easy to jump and transition, thanks to the parallel wave technology
- They have a fantastic rubber sole which offers amazing traction and grip
- They offer great support and flexibility, especially for transitioning
- They have a wide fit, which is ideal for those with wide feet
- They have a non-marking outsole, which is what many players look for
- They don’t have the most attractive design, which could matter to some players
- The sizing runs small, so be careful choosing your size
10. ASICS Men's Gel-Netburner Ballistic: Wide Shoes
The Fluid Ride Midsole is unique on these shoes. It helps to provide bounce back while also cushioning your foot. Yet it also maintains a light weight so that you can stay comfortable throughout the game. With rearfoot and forefoot GEL cushioning, your feet will stay protected against impact.
The NC rubber outsole enhances traction on the court, so you don’t have to worry about grip during the game. You’ll also appreciate the ASICS TRusstic System Technology, which helps to retain the structural strength of the shoe without making them too heavy to wear.
The mid-top from arch shaft measurement ensures that your ankles have the support and protection you want in your volleyball game. They also run wider, making them ideal for people with wide feet who have a hard time finding well-fitting ones.
Theses ASICS may not be the ideal style for everyone but they are quite durable, making them an attractive purchase—especially for those who don’t want to have to change shoes too frequently.
- They have a good outsole, which offers reliable traction
- The full-foot GEL cushioning keeps your feet comfortable and protected
- They have a good shaft measurement that keeps your ankles supported
- They are sturdy yet lightweight, which is what most people want in their volleyball shoes
- They aren’t heavy, so you can wear them for hours on end
- The tongue is a bit uncomfortable and gets in the way, which could be annoying for some
- They take a while to break in, so they do require patience at the beginning
What Features You Need To Focus On
You’ve seen quite a few pairs that seem both affordable and reliable. Which one are you leaning towards buying? Before purchasing a pair, consider important features so that you can make the right choice for you and your needs.
Because volleyball is a high impact sport, you want to protect your feet. Cushioning helps to eliminate the shock from impact, so you will want to make sure that your shoes have some level of cushioning.
Some have full-foot cushioning, while others may only have it in the forefoot or rearfoot. Consider if you have problem areas or where you tend to get pain from playing. Also when looking for cushioned ones, make sure that the level of cushioning doesn’t make them too heavy to play in.
You want sturdy shoes to play in, but don’t look for options that are so sturdy, you can’t transition. You want a strong build in your shoe, but one that allows you to transition as quickly as needed.
This can be challenging to find, but it will make a world of difference. It will allow you to play as you need to while trusting that your feet are protected as you go. Some shoes are specifically designed with foot transitioning in mind, so look for the options that have this type of technology.
As you’ll be playing on hardcourts, it’s important that you have shoes that have a good grip. You don’t want to just throw on your running sneakers and get on the court. This could result in slipping and injuries.
While too much traction can make it difficult for you to move around, the right amount is important. Do look for options that promise some type of grip. It’s one of the more important features to look for in your volleyball shoe.
The first thing to consider when shopping for your shoe is how durable the materials they are. If they are synthetic material, they will usually last for quite a while. You also want to consider breathability. Mesh is always good to look for when you want a pair that will be comfortable to wear during the summer. Leather upper is always a good idea, as well. It is one of the most durable materials around and also makes your shoes look good.
Pay close attention to size and measurements, as wearing a pair that is too small or too large can be highly uncomfortable. It’s important to consider if the shoe is a narrow or wide fit. Many people rush into buying a shoe because it has this or that feature, but forget to check these factors.
For example, if you know that most shoes are too narrow for your feet, see what other people are saying about the pair that you want. Do they mention that it offers a narrow fit? You may want to avoid them, if so. Alternatively, don’t buy a pair that many say has a very wide design and you have slim feet.
Something else to keep in mind when shopping is that different brands tend to have variations in sizing. For example, some Adidas have been known to run large while other ASICS ones could fit a bit snug. To avoid wasting money, pay close attention to the sizing chars on any pair that you are interested in.
Is Wearing A Multi-Sport Shoe An Option?
You may have a great pair of shoes in the closet. What do you use them for? A lot of people like to use one shoe for everything. Unfortunately, your running sneakers most likely won’t be ideal for volleyball.
You could possibly wear a multi-sport option, depending on some features. For example, you need the perfect combination of flexibility and stability in a shoe for volleyball. If your current shoes provide that, they could work for you.
You need to be careful, as if you sacrifice too much support for flexibility, you could end up with an injury. Another thing about just using any old ones is that not all shoes offer the traction you need.
Volleyball on hardcourts requires great grip. You could easily injure yourself after a jump if your shoes have too much slippage. Many sports injuries are caused by people wearing the wrong type on the court.
When in doubt, don’t use your multi-sport runners. Choose the safer route by picking a pair that has been designed for use on hardcourts and volleyball. This will help to keep you safe from injuries and ensure that you can keep on playing for a long time to come.
Many that are designed for volleyball have the lateral support that you need. Because of the unique movements in volleyball, you really can’t sacrifice on features like that. If you have a shoe that you use for racquetball or other similar sports, you could try using them.
In the end, what you may try to save on buying a new pair of shoes could result in thousands of dollars required for surgery if you have an accident. It’s always best to protect your feet while playing any kind of sport, but especially in a sport as intense and demanding as volleyball.
Are you ready to play like you have never played before? The list above offers a variety of shoes for both men and women, so you’ll be sure to find a pair that could work for you. Whether you need a pair with a little arch support or one that has the right measurement for ankle support, there are options.
Many of the products that we have chosen offer great features that make them ideal for volleyball. Most of them don’t sacrifice style, so you can stay trendy while also staying safe. After all, choosing a good pair of youth volleyball shoes is about choosing to play well and avoid injury.
With all the above information you can simply pick a design and budget that suits you and simply use the Amazon price check buttons to place your order today. If you’re serious about the game, then make sure you have the right footwear to avoid injury and boost your performance.