Whether you’re into triathlons, marathons, or any of the shorter distance races, then supplements are going to be a vital part of your training. While most athletes simply think of energy and isotonic gels and supplements to help get you through the distance, there are other things you should consider.
One thing that many runners overlook is the use of protein to help your body build up the necessary leg muscles and recover faster from those intense training days.
While you may not be a body builder, you can still benefit from workout protein powder. It does a lot more than just help bulk up, when used in the right way.
If you’re new to the world of protein powders and shakes, then it can be quite a struggle to figure out which one will work best for you. You want to make sure that you’re getting the benefits from it, but you’re not sure what to be looking for.
From the various types of protein powders to the different ways to use them, there are several options for runners who want to up their game. In the below list we provide you with all the advice you need to find the best protein powder for runners in the athletic discipline you’re training in.
Our Top 10 Best Protein For Runners Recommendations
These are the best options available, based on months’ worth of research into the ingredients used and the thousands of customer reviews.
From gluten free options to ones with or without caffeine, there is something for every type of runner. You will definitely find something suitable.
| #1 - NAKED WHEY || Clean And Reliable ||5.0 stars out of 5|
| #2 - Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard || Tasty And Is Useful If You Have Alexa||4.5 stars out of 5|
| #3 - Orgain Organic Plant Based Protein Powder || Organic And Nourishing||4.0 stars out of 5|
Table of Contents
- 1 Our Top 10 Best Protein For Runners Recommendations
- 1.1 1. NAKED WHEY: Clean And Reliable
- 1.2 2. Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard: Tasty And Is Useful If You Have Alexa
- 1.3 3. Orgain Organic Plant Based Protein Powder: Organic And Nourishing
- 1.4 4. BSN SYNTHA-6 Whey Protein Powder
- 1.5 5. MusclePharm Combat Protein Powder: Great Taste And Affordable
- 1.6 6. Vega Protein & Greens: Unique Blend of Ingredients
- 1.7 7. Dymatize ISO 100: Easy On The Stomach
- 1.8 8. Perfect Keto Protein Powder: For Those Who Love Keto
- 1.9 9. PlantFusion Complete: Great Plant-Based Option
- 1.10 10. JYM Supplement Science: Powerful Blend of Proteins
- 2 What Ingredients You Need To Focus On
- 3 Planning Your Protein Intake
- 4 Conclusion
This 100% grass-fed whey protein has no additives, which is always something that you want to pay attention to. Also, GMO-free, gluten free, and growth hormone free, you don’t have to worry about allergies or unsafe ingredients in this Naked Whey protein.
Sourced from Californian farms, you can trust this product. This product is made in a safe environment, so you can be sure that it doesn’t any contamination from metals, chemicals, and is made exactly as it should be. From amino acids to glutathione and clean protein, this product has the perfect balance needed for your shakes or smoothies.
Naked Whey has 25 g of protein and only 2 g of sugar and only 3g of carbs, so trust that it’s a reliable option for your daily protein intake. While it’s priced higher than some other options, it’s also highly reliable and helps you get the nutrition you need. At 5lb, you can trust that it will last for a while to come.
- It’s a clean option with natural whey protein, so you can trust its nutritional value
- Made in a safe environment, you can trust that this protein is free of harmful substances
- The package has plenty of product, so you can trust that it will for a while
- It isn’t sweetened or flavored, so it is easy to add to any type of food
- It’s 100% grass-fed whey, so you can trust that it’s good for you
- It doesn’t dissolve well, which could affect your smoothies
- It’s a bit pricey, so it may not be ideal for just everyone
For those who are all about smart devices, did you know that this whey protein manufacturer has recipes for you to enable on Alexa? Besides this fancy feature, this 100% whey is gluten free and has 55 grams of naturally occurring BCAAs.
For those who like a bit of flavor in this protein shakes, you’ll like this double chocolate flavor—that is you like chocolate. It’s instantized, so you can easily mix it into your shakes without worrying globs.
If you’re set on a certain routine to last for a month or more, there is enough protein to last for quite a while. If you’re looking for an option that doesn’t have a bunch of fillers and that gives you the protein you need for the vitamins and nutrition required, this may be a perfect option for you. More affordable than similar options, you could be saving a bit while also trusting in the quality of this whey protein.
- It includes a scoop, so you can easily serve the right amount each time you make a smoothie
- It is a flavored protein powder, so some people may like how it adds flavor to their drinks
- It doesn’t have many fillers, so you can trust that it’s mostly vitamins and healthy protein
- You can feel a difference when drinking or eating it, making it an option that will give you the healthy effect you’re looking for
- It’s reasonably priced, so that you don’t have to break the bank for a good protein powder
- Not everyone likes the flavor of this protein, so consider this before purchasing
- It contains an artificial sweetener, which may be a negative factor for some people
For those who are very careful about what they put into their bodies, you’ll appreciate that this protein powder is completely organic. With a smooth chocolate fudge flavor, you can add it to your smoothies, and your kid’s will probably love it as well.
Containing plant based protein, and ingredients like brown rice and chia, this is a unique blend that is designed for the extremely health-conscious runner. At only 2.03lb, the package may not be as giving as one would like, but at a decent price, you will see that the quality may be exactly what you’re looking for.
Gluten-free and kosher, this protein powder can be used in a variety of households, no matter what your diet may look like.
- It’s highly healthy to use, so you don’t have to worry about eating any unhealthy ingredients
- It’s smooth to mix into your smoothies, so you don’t have to worry about globs
- It offers top quality for a decent price, so you won’t have to break the bank to stay fit
- Many people like the flavor of this option, which makes it a tasty addition to any of your food or smoothies
- It’s completely organic, which is definitely an attractive feature for many
- The package only includes around 2 pounds of protein, so it won’t last as long as some other options
- Because it’s so organic, some people may consider the taste to be too chalk like
Offering 48 servings, you can rely on this powder for a month or so of vitamins and nutrition. With 5 grams of fiber, as well as 22g of protein and 10 grams of amino acids, this protein powder is full of healthy goodness.
It is chocolate flavored, which helps to make it easier to drink, so your smoothies taste more like chocolate and less like powder. It helps to make a difference in your overall energy level, which is always great for runners.
Offered at a fair price, the BSN will last for quite a while, so you don’t have to worry about going broke trying to keep up with your fitness. Because of its smooth texture, you don’t have to worry about clumps of powder in your shakes.
- It is priced fairly for the amount of powder it provides, making it an ideal purchase
- It has a nice, smooth consistency, so you can enjoy glob-free smoothies
- The package has a generous amount of powder, so you can trust it will last you for a while
- It has a smooth chocolate flavor that isn’t too strong that it will overpower your smoothie
- It provides users with quality protein, so you can trust that you’re getting the good stuff
- The packaging may at times have issues, so be careful when receiving the powder to make sure it isn’t open
- It tends to make some people’s stomachs feel upset, so you may want to avoid it if you have trouble with some protein powders
Offering about 51 servings per a container, you’ll be able to depend on this MusclePharm powder for quite a while. Fortunately, this powder is also fairly priced, so you don’t have to spend a lot to get the goodness from it.
This powder contains 5 different protein sources, so you can rest assured that you’re getting the umph you need. With a smooth taste, you can easily blend this powder into almost any kind of food or drink you like. It has added glutamine and digestive enzymes to help make it easy on your stomach.
While it can be hard to find a good-tasting protein, this Muscle Pharm powder does a good job at it. For those who are looking for an affordable powder that is easy to blend and tastes great, you’ve come to the right place.
- It’s easy to blend and doesn’t get all clumpy, which is ideal for making smoothies
- It’s affordable and offers a great amount of powder for its cost, making it a great deal
- It’s easy on the stomach, so you don’t have to worry about stomach-aches after drinking it
- It has enough protein to give you the energy you’re looking for, for your run
- It has a low amount of carbs, so you don’t have to worry about it making you gain weight
- It’s quite sweet, so be careful with the amount that you use in each shake
- The texture is a bit sticky, so make sure that you blend it well
Something different for those who are not only looking to get their protein intake, but also their veggies. Since you’re a runner, you want to be sure to have all the vitamins you need for both energy and strength.
Unlike many protein powders, this option has a vanilla flavor that is easy to combine with any type of ingredients in your smoothie. The 20 grams of protein or plant-based, making it ideal for those who only want plant blends in their diet.
With organic kale powder and spinach powder, you can rest assured that you’ll be getting some of the best nutrients imaginable. The flavoring of this powder is not overly sweet, so you don’t have to worry about it overpowering your smoothies or drinks. While it isn’t the cheapest organic option on the market, it’s definitely one of the best quality ones out there. It works best with milk shakes or almond milk, and not just in water, due to its thick texture.
- It has a decent taste, so you don’t have to worry about not being able to drink it
- It is great for people who don’t like eating meat, as it is made from completely plant based ingredients
- You can be sure that you won’t feel hungry after drinking this powder, as it definitely fills you up
- It doesn’t have a lot of calories, which is always an attractive feature for those who don’t want to gain weight
- It doesn’t have an after taste, which is always great news when it comes to protein powders
- The powder isn’t made in as safe environments as some other options and has been known to contain metals
- It has a thick texture, so you’ll need to blend it for quite a while to get out clumps
One problem that protein users often come across is that powders can be heavy on the stomach. Fortunately, the Dymatize is fast-digesting, so you don’t have to worry about this when drinking this powder. With less than 1 gram of fat per serving, it’s also ideal for runners who want to avoid weight gain.
Gluten and lactose free, it’s a great option for those who may have allergies to either lactose or gluten, or both. 100% whey protein isolate is great for those who want to make sure they are getting the energy-inducing nutrients they need.
At only 1.6 pounds in the package, it’s not the most affordable option around, but it can help you get started and see if you like the flavor. A great feature to this option is that it blends really well, so you don’t have to worry about clumpy smoothies again.
- It doesn’t cause stomach-aches, making it a favorite for many
- It blends well, so you can enjoy glob-free smoothies
- It’s gluten and lactose free, which is always a plus for those who have allergies
- It is low in calories, so you can enjoy drinking it without worrying about weight gain
- It has a good flavor that blends well with other ingredients
- It isn’t the most cost effective option on the market, so this may be a factor for you
- Some people find some flavors too sweet for their liking, so consider this before purchase
If you’re all about your Keto diet, you’ll love this option. Made from 100% grass fed collagen, you can rest assured that you’re getting pure protein from this powder. With MCT oil powder, it’s designed to provide you with even more benefits than your average protein powder.
With only stevia leaf powder to sweeten it and all-natural ingredients, you don’t have to worry about eating any chemicals or metals when you choose this powder. From being good for your energy level to helping your gut and tissues, as well as skin, there are multiple benefits to be gained from using this powder, apart from its benefits for your life as a runner.
You can drink it before running or after running, because it isn’t too heavy on your stomach. It mixes well and isn’t chalky, making it a favorite for many people who love their bulletproof coffee or breakfast smoothie.
- It doesn’t have any artificial ingredients in it, making it perfect for those who want all-natural powder
- It is easy to blend and mix in with any coffee or smoothie and can even be added to food, thanks to its light flavor
- It’s easy on the gut, so you don’t have to worry about stomach pain after drinking it
- It is relatively affordable, so you can easily purchase it whenever needed
- It’s full of benefits for your body, making it a favorite option for many
- You don’t provide that much product for its pricing, which may be a downside for some people
- It does have an after taste that some people may not like
This 2lb tub is a favorite for those who aren’t looking for Keto powder, but rather a healthy plant-based protein option. Priced fairly for the amount of product offered, it’s a decent choice for those who don’t want to spend too much on their protein powder.
With only 120 calories serving and 21 grams of plant-based protein, you can be sure that you’ll get the nutrients you need, without having to worry about gaining weight. It’s easy to digest and free of most of the allergens that people are staying away from these days.
A highly attractive thing about the PlantFusion is that it has a smooth texture that is very easy to blend. If you are someone who likes adding protein to coffee or hate clumps, this is a great feature.
- It’s a great option for those who don’t want to use whey in their food or drinks
- It has very little fat in it, so you don’t have to worry about weight gain
- The tub of powder is fairly priced, making it easy for you to keep up with protein powder use
- It has a decent flavor that can be added to any type of drink, which makes it easier to drink
- It doesn’t have an after taste, which is always a good thing
- It contains stevia, which some people don’t like to use
- Some people may find the flavor too sweet, so you may want to consider this before you buy it
With a blend of whey, egg, and casein, those who are looking for a great protein kick, need not look any further. While you may be looking for a powder for running, you may also be looking to get benefits in the weight room. This powder is beneficial for all your exercises.
With a thick texture, you can blend it with milk or coffee for a smooth drink. While it may be challenging to mix it simply with water, it isn’t impossible. Because it doesn’t only contain whey, but other proteins as well, it’s easier for you to digest.
If you’re looking for a high-quality protein powder, this 4lb tub may be what you’re looking for. It’s not extremely cheap, but it is offered at a fair price for the amount of product it provides.
- It tastes good, so you can easily drink it with any type of liquid you like
- It is created for a variety of uses, whether you run or lift weights
- It is jam-packed with protein, so you can be sure it will do what it’s meant to
- The combination of proteins helps to provide you with better results and keep your stomach at ease
- It offers plenty of product for a fair price, making it a great buy
- The texture is quite thick, so it does take a while to blend it perfectly
- It tends to get clumpy when you don’t mix it well, which can be a negative for those who make their drinks in a hurry
What Ingredients You Need To Focus On
So, as you consider “should I use protein powder,” you may also be considering what features you should look for. When checking out the powders available on the market, you’ll want to focus on certain ingredients. For example:
Amount Of Protein
You want your protein. You want to make sure that the powder you order has the right amount for you. Depending on the size of the tub, you want to find powder that has at least 25g of protein.
As a runner, you need a certain amount of protein to keep you going. You want to get around 1.0 g to 1.6 g per a day, so you’ll want to get up to about 25 grams per a scoop of powder. Always go for a protein tub that has between 20 to 25, at the least.
As you’re looking for your powders, you are going to want to consider what else to look for, besides proteins. Protein should be the number one thing for your energy and running, but consider the minerals in your powders as well. For example, calcium is very good for your bones and whether you’re young or old, your bones will always benefit from it.
If you’re a runner, you need to take care of your body, from your bones to your heart and taking in minerals like calcium and iron can help your endurance and keep you healthy.
Along with proteins and minerals, a powder that contains vitamins is also ideal. You want to make sure that you’re getting as many benefits from your daily smoothie as possible. From vitamin B to vitamin C and more, you need to keep an eye out for the vitamins listed on the powder tub.
Just make sure to ask your medical provider which vitamins are safe for you and your body’s needs. For example, some people shouldn’t be taking too much calcium in, due to cardiovascular issues, etc.
Vegan Or Vegetarian
If you are a vegan or a vegetarian, you may have noticed that there are a whole lot of options with whey in them. Are there options for you? As you have seen above, there are some plant-based options on the market.
You just need to be careful when choosing these powders, as oftentimes they have a lot of fillers to give the powder a better taste or texture. As long as they are full of primarily plant-based proteins, you should be getting the benefits you need from them. Be aware that some of these options contain stevia to help with flavor, so if you don’t like this ingredient, keep looking for another option that doesn’t contain it.
Caffeine And Creatine
Caffeine is often an ingredient found in these powders. This is because it helps to keep your energy up and boosts fat loss, as well. For those who can handle caffeine well, this is fine and in fact, helpful. For those who don’t, you may need to find a supplement that is caffeine-free.
Creatine is an ingredient you want to look for, as it is highly beneficial for keeping inflammation away and keeping your endurance level up. For those who are trying to run longer and faster, this is highly beneficial.
Planning Your Protein Intake
It’s important to understand why and when to take protein powders. Did you know that protein can help your endurance? This is definitely attractive for runners who compete in marathons and races. As you start to use protein powder, you may want to start with a plan.
When you’re training for a marathon or race, you’re going to want to follow the same protein intake daily. For example, drinking protein before your morning run can help to provide you with the energy you need to go for a good amount of time. After all, you’re after endurance when it comes to a race and your body needs some fuel.
Drinking a powder shake after your run can help to shorten recovery time, which is just as beneficial for a runner, as it is for a bodybuilder. Many people often wonder “when should I take protein powder” and question if it’s best before or after, but the truth is that it varies, depending on your body’s needs.
Leading Up To A Race
For those who are training for high endurance reasons, such as a marathon, you may even want to consider drinking a shake before bedtime. Just make sure that it’s a slow-absorbing type of protein. When you’re training, make sure to take around 1.0 to 1.6g of protein per kg of body weight for optimal results.
As mentioned above, you need both your energy for running and recovery after running. If you’re not recovering correctly, you could end up injured. Protein can do a lot for your body and its endurance, and that’s what you need for your race training. On days that you aren’t training for your race, your intake doesn’t need to be as high.
Are you looking to do better and run faster? If you’re tired of being tired as a runner or have a marathon you want to train for, you should consider investing in some protein powder. The above information will help you to have an idea on what to look for and the different protein powders on our list will get you started with options.
Are you a big fan of caffeine? There are powders with the ingredients you need. Are you trying to avoid anything that has to do with meat? Consider plant-based protein powders that are full of nutritional goodness. The great news is that there are as many manufacturers of protein powders as there are preferences, so you can always be sure to find the option that is best for you and your health.
As a runner, you may think that protein powders are only for bodybuilders. But, the truth is that protein powders won’t actually make you bulk up. They’ll help you to have more endurance and energy for your run than ever before. Which protein is right for you?