Protein snacks are a perfect way to boost energy levels and give your body what it needs to recover after a some intense training. But as a diabetic you always end up in trouble with high carb ad sugar content that most of them have.
While cereal and granola options work very well, they simply aren’t an option because they really are more like a candy bar. But what are you going to do? Resort to homemade options?
Fortunately, there are some excellent products available will give you the energy to power through a busy day. Whether it’s just a little boost between breakfast and lunch or you need some help to get through a tough training session, there are excellent and suitable products available.
While they shouldn’t be used as a meal replacement, they are perfect for those low energy parts of the day.
Our Top 5 Best Protein Bars For Diabetics Recommendations
| #1 - KIND Bars: Tasty And Full of Protein || Tasty And Full of Protein||5.0 stars out of 5|
| #2 - Quest Nutrition: Easy-To-Chew || Easy-To-Chew||4.5 stars out of 5|
| #3 - BSN Protein Crisp: Ideal Texture || Ideal Texture||4.0 stars out of 5|
Table of Contents
- 1 Our Top 5 Best Protein Bars For Diabetics Recommendations
- 2 What Is Important To Diabetics
- 3 Conclusion
Kind bars have done it right. They are delicious with just the right amount of good taste yet lack any of the bad stuff like gluten and high sodium, making them an ideal option as a source of protein. Packed with nuts and roasted peanut butter and chocolate, they offer a great taste—if you like chocolate and peanut butter.
It has a low glycemic index and low sodium with a good amount of fiber, so it’s the protein bar that makes it easy for you to be good. This specific package includes 12 individual bars, so if you want to pack up on protein bars to help you when you need a healthy diabetic-friendly snack, this could be a good option for you.
These bars may be small but chockfull of protein, so they are actually quite ideal for carrying with you in your purse or even pocket. Something that some people should be concerned about is that it is a bit hard to chew. So if you have sensitive gums are tooth issues, these could be a challenge for you. Also, diabetics should be aware that they do have some sugar, so be cautious with how many you eat in a day.
- They have a high level of protein, so they are great for recovery periods.
- They have great flavor, especially if you like chocolate and peanut butter together.
- The packaging and size makes it easy to be a carry-with-you type of snack.
- They have low-sodium, which is always important in a healthy option.
- They are low in carbs, so they are especially beneficial for those who are on a diet.
- They can be quite hard to chew, so be careful if you have delicate dental health.
- They are a bit pricier than some other options on the market.
Chocolate cookie-dough lovers are going to love this one. As a soy and gluten free bar, it’s ideal if you like to stay away from wheat and soy. Created with dairy-based protein, you should stay away from them if you are lactose intolerant.
The good news for diabetics is that there is no added sugar and as a keto-friendly protein bar, it can be exactly what you need for a healthy snack.
The delicious custom-made chocolate chunks help to make it a tasty treat for those who want something sweet.
The box includes 12 bars, which is enough to last you a week or two. While not the most affordable option if you want to stock up for a month, they certainly are tastier than some others on the market. As a low-carb option, if you’re on a diet, this one won’t work against you. The great news is that if you struggle with chewing nutty-bars, the Quest bar is softer and easy to eat.
- The texture is ideal for those who have a hard time chewing hard, nutty bars.
- It has a tasty flavor, thanks to the added chocolate chunks.
- It’s low carb, so if you’re on a diet, these can work for you.
- It offers plenty of protein, so you can depend on it for your protein snack.
- They are sweet and easy to eat, which is always a plus in any protein bar.
- They are made with artificial sweeteners, which some people don’t like.
- They aren’t as affordable as some other options.
If you don’t like chewy textured bars and you don’t like nutty ones, this BSN protein crisp may be the perfect option for you. It has a nice oaty, crispy texture that is easy to eat. It’s small packaging also means that you can carry one with you wherever you go.
As a gluten-free bar, it’s great for healthy diabetics looking to stay slim and trim and avoid celiac disease. While they do have sugar, it’s not that high at 2-4g, so you can eat one or two as needed.
They don’t have as much fiber as some other bars, which some people look for when shopping for protein bars. They taste somewhat like your favorite crispy treat without all the sugar, making them ideal for your diabetic needs.
If you’re tired of bars that taste like the packaging they came in, then you’ll be delighted that BSN Protein Crisp has been created with good flavor in mind.
- They don’t have gluten, so it’s a great option for those with celiac disease.
- They have a better texture than most protein bars, which is definitely ideal for those with sensitive teeth.
- They are low in sugar, so they are especially ideal for diabetics.
- They have a good amount of protein, so you can be sure that you’re getting the amount you want.
- This BSN box is quite affordable in comparison to other options, so you can easily order a few boxes.
- It doesn’t have fiber, which some people want in their protein bars.
- They are somewhat high in carbs, so you may want to be aware of this if you’re on a diet.
If you love a high-protein, high-fiber bar, the NuGO bar has what you need. As a gluten-free option, you can rest assured that you’re getting the good stuff without any of the extras that aren’t necessary.
The price is great for a pack of 12, so you can order a few boxes at one time to always ensure that you have a healthy go-to protein snack when you need it. With only 2g of sugar, you don’t have to worry about eating too much sugar in each bar.
As an all-natural option with no artificial sweeteners or maltitol, you don’t have to worry about what you’re putting in your body with the NuGO bars. The slim bars are easy to take with you in your pocket or handbag, thanks to their small size and packaging.
Chocolate covered, the manufacturers did a good job with the flavors although they may not be the tastiest ones on the market.
- They are affordable, so you can order as many boxes as you need.
- They have a decent flavor that isn’t sweet but doesn’t taste like crap either.
- They are high in protein, so they are a good option for when you need to up your protein intake.
- They are low-carb making them ideal for the dieters looking for healthy protein bars.
- The small size makes it easy for you to carry one with you at any given moment.
- They are a bit hard and challenging to chew.
- The chalky texture can be a bit gross for some people’s preferences.
If you’re all about getting as much nutrition as possible from your protein bar, turn to the ZenoBar which is not only a low-carb option, but it’s full of the protein you need. Specifically designed for people like you, this low glycemic bar is gluten-free, soy-free, dairy-free and non GMO.
It is also vegan, so if you want a very natural option, this is the bar for you. Made from plant-based proteins and containing healthy fats, as well as fiber, it’s truly the ideal bar for the health-conscious diabetic.
It is sweetened with a special kind of sweetener known as Allulose, which is safe for diabetics, so it not only helps the taste but makes it ideal for your needs. Each pack comes with an assortment of 12 bars.
While they aren’t cheap, it’s worth it for the great nutrition you’ll get from these diabetic-friendly protein bars. Another attractive thing about this option is that it also contains hemp seeds, flax seeds, and cocoa powder which are immune boosting ingredients, whether you’re a diabetic or not.
- Great option for the health-conscious individual, thanks to its unique all-natural ingredients.
- They contain a safe sweetener that helps them to be tasty and sweet without harming you.
- Unlike some other options, these bars are plant-based, so they are an ideal option for vegans.
- They are high in fiber and only contain healthy fats, making them a well-rounded bar.
- The pack includes a variety of flavors, so you can enjoy the various tastes of each bar.
- There is a bit of an after-taste which could be annoying for some people.
- They are not as affordable as some other options on the market.
What Is Important To Diabetics
What is important for most people changes for diabetics. While an average person looking for their protein bar may turn a blind eye to sugar levels in their protein bars, diabetics have to be cautious about what they’re eating.
One thing to consider as a diabetic are that you need to keep up with the right amount of sugar and foods to avoid spikes or crashes but that you are always walking a fine line between too much and too little.
That’s why it is also important to pay attention to ingredients in the foods you choose, including in protein bars. As much as one would think that health food manufacturers would choose to create bars with only healthy nutrients, not all of them do.
How do you find what is right for you as a diabetic? If you’ve been dealing with diabetes for years, you may already know what to look for. If you’re new to this disease, it could be a challenge to know which protein bars are best for you. The following features will help to give you an idea of what to keep in mind as you shop for the best protein bars.
You probably want the bar that’s going to taste good, right? Most of the time this means sugar has been added. What you want to look for is one that is as low in sugar as possible. In fact, when shopping around, consider choosing only the bars that have 10 grams or less. In the same vein, you also want to make sure that it’s low carb and calories.
As a diabetic, you may be prone to weight gain and filling up on food may be a need, but you don’t want it to make you gain extra pounds. Sugar is a part of increasing the calories in any bar, so always go for the one with less sugar. When possible consider choosing ones with special kinds of sugar, like Allulose.
Because of the way that a diabetic has to eat and the diet they have to have, weight gain is a threat. You don’t want to feed your body too much of something that can harm it and protein bars with little to no sugar are your safest bet.
Protein is important for anyone but you want it as a major part of your diet if you’re a diabetic. Eating at least 5grams of protein in your bar will help you to avoid crashes and help to fill you up. It can also help you when you haven’t been able to eat as much protein as needed or when you’re trying to workout and gain muscle.
Because a diabetic has to be careful about what they eat, getting the nutrients you need when you need them is very important and protein bars can help you do just that. Protein can help to keep your blood sugar right where it belongs, so the more you can get into your body, the better.
One thing you want to keep an eye out for is what kind of protein that bar has. For example, some may have dairy protein isolate which is not good for those who are lactose intolerant. You may be getting the protein level you need but if it’s bloating you or making you feel sick, it’s not really worth it.
Unlike many other things in a normal diet, fiber doesn’t turn into sugar, so it can be a good way for you to fill up when eating a protein bar without you having to worry about your glucose levels being raised.
A healthy digestive tract is always a good thing, whether or not you’re diabetic, so this added benefit from fiber is another good reason to get it from your protein bar. Most people need around 20-35 grams of fiber a day, so if you find that you don’t get that much in your diet, look for bars that contain the levels of fiber that you need.
Just be careful when choosing a bar with fiber. Most bars won’t have that high of a level that you have to be cautious about but if you’re the kind of person who likes to have a couple of bars at a time, that’s where you want to take care. Too much fiber can make you have gas and bloat, which is also an unpleasant result that you want to avoid. As with sugar, keep an eye out for levels of fiber in your bar but more fiber is certainly always better than too much sugar.
As a diabetic, you have to control your diet much more than other people do. Not doing so can be detrimental to your health. Whether you’re looking for a way to get the nutrients you need before a workout or you are trying to make sure that you don’t get a sugar crash or spike, a protein bar can be a diabetic’s best friend. One that is a whole-food can actually help you to regulate your sugars and stay healthy.
Of course, as mentioned above, you have to look for the right kind. Ones that are too high in sugar or contain too many carbs won’t be your friend. The bars we have on our list are some of the best on the market, both for their flavors but also because they don’t contain a lot of unnecessary things that diabetics have to watch out for.
From gluten free options to ones that are made from all-natural ingredients, there are several choices available for diabetic-friendly protein bars. Not all of them have the best taste but when it comes to staying healthy sometimes taste doesn’t matter. Of course, when you find one that taste great, well, even better. Which protein bar for diabetics is your favorite?