Most women simply focus on post-training protein supplements, and while they are important for recovery, they won’t help with your efforts during training.
But the problem with the majority of pre-workout supplements is that they are formulated to make them suitable for men. This can result in overstimulation and some effects in the average woman.
So, I set out with my dietitian to find the most suitable products. We found some that are specifically designed for women, while other had a formula that is not too overpowering.
Our Top 8 Best Pre Workout For Women Recommendations
| #1 - PowHer ||5.0 stars out of 5|
| #2 - Transparent Lab Lean Pre-Workout ||4.5 stars out of 5|
| #3 - NitroSurge ||4.0 stars out of 5|
Table of Contents
- 1 Our Top 8 Best Pre Workout For Women Recommendations
- 2 How Do Pre-Workout Supplements Work?
- 3 When Should You Take Pre-Workouts?
- 4 What Ingredients Are Commonly Used?
- 5 Are There Any Side Effects?
- 6 FAQ
- 7 Conclusion
Women who want to make sure that they’re giving their body what it needs, love the women-specific pre-workout supplement PowHer. Designed with the female body in mind, females find that the ingredients included in PowHer are ideal for supporting weight loss and provide an energy boost.
People who used PowHer like how it doesn’t cause a caffeine crash after using it, but it gives a nice boost to get them through their workouts. The fresh taste makes it easy for users to blend it with their favorite smoothies without having to worry about a bitter aftertaste.
While it does have a little bit of caffeine for a thermogenic effect, it’s not loaded to the point of causing jitters.
Some users appreciate that this supplement is made with Sucralose that has a subdued sweet flavor.
- Reviewers like that PowHer doesn’t cause a post-workout crash.
- It has caffeine, but it doesn’t have too much that it will affect your sleep.
- It is made for specifically for women so no need to recalculate the dose.
- Users like the increased performance levels they get after taking this.
- You don’t need a whole lot of supplement to get the effects, helping it to last longer.
- It’s a bit pricier than some similar options.
For those who are careful about what goes into their supplement, many women will appreciate the fact that this option has no artificial sweetener or artificial coloring. It also doesn’t contain artificial preservatives and is gluten-free and non-GMO.
As the name would suggest, the manufacturers designed a transparent label, so you can know exactly what you’re taking.
Many reviews state how great of a performance boost it provides for their workouts, making it a very attractive option. It is made from top-quality ingredients, and according to users, it doesn’t cause stomach aches like a lot of other supplements.
Because it doesn’t contain too much caffeine, you don’t have to worry about a post-workout crash that often accompanies high-caffeine supplements.
- It is free of many harmful fillers, making it a safe option to take.
- Users appreciate how it doesn’t cause stomach issues like some other options.
- Reviewers commented on how the extra energy was ideal without any post-workout jitters.
- Many women saw results from their efforts when using Transparent Lab.
- Unlike some options, this one doesn’t cause side effects.
- The zip-lock bag packaging isn’t the most reliable.
If there is one thing that many reviewers appreciated about NitroSurge, it is the price. A large tub with plenty of product that doesn’t cost an arm and a leg is certainly something that many people will like.
NitroSurge offers a performance boost, thanks to ingredients like caffeine and Theanine. Basically, it helps to increase nitric oxide levels to increase blood flow for powerful pumps.
The transparent label makes it easy for you to know what you’re getting and if it’s good for your body. With no fillers or dyes and made with research-backed ingredients, users like how clean this product is.
Some people love that this option actually has a tasty flavor, while others like that it isn’t too heavy on caffeine. It mixes well with other foods and has a smooth texture.
If you’re looking for a clean fitness supplement that doesn’t make you shaky, this could be it.
- It gives a good energy boost, so you can “kill it” during your workout.
- Users like how it doesn’t contain unnecessary or harmful fillers.
- It has a decent flavor that makes it easy to drink or include in meals.
- It doesn’t leave you with post-workout jitters.
- People love how affordable it is.
- It is for both women and men, so you won’t be using a women-specific product.
- The product does have artificial sweeteners, which some people don’t like.
If you’re someone who likes heavy-duty supplements, this could be the one for you. Considered by many to be powerful enough to get you that boost for maximum performance, you could change the way you work out with 4Gauge.
While it’s not a women-specific product, the results make it an attractive option for those who want to enhance their energy levels.
Users like how it not only aids with endurance but also helps with mental focus so that you can always get the most out of your training.
Even though it does contain caffeine, users noted that they didn’t get the jitters from using it. Best of all, it’s a low-calorie product so won’t mess with any dieting efforts.
- Some users like the unique packaging that the product comes in.
- It is low in calories, so it is ideal for those on a weight-loss journey.
- The combination of Theanine and caffeine helps users to avoid post-workout crashes.
- Many reviews stated how much of an energy boost they got from taking 4Gauge.
- Dosage can be easily adjusted with different gender recommendations.
- Some people commented that this supplement irritated their stomach.
- This product does contain some sugars.
The nice thing about Prevail is that while it has caffeine, the combination of L-Theanine helps to keep the jitters at bay. Users like the pricing that is fair for the amount of product (40 servings) provided in the tub.
I also wasn’t able to find any comments that this supplement caused stomach issues. While it doesn’t give the highest kick of energy, it’s usually enough for most people who want to have better mental focus and performance during their work out.
While a lot of products have an odd taste, this one is actually quite nice, according to online comments, so you can easily blend it with your preferred ingredients. It won’t overpower your smoothie or food.
- This pre workout supplement for women is priced affordably, making it a great deal.
- It is light on the stomach, so you don’t have to worry about tummy issues.
- The flavor is decent and doesn’t leave an aftertaste.
- It provides energy and endurance without causing post-workout crashes.
- Most users noticed good results after using it regularly.
- Some reviewers felt it was missing a longer-lasting power boost.
- The texture may not be the best, but it isn’t terrible.
6. Cellucor C4
Cellucor C4 is designed for an optimal energy boost. Many people state that it’s perfect for endurance and keeping you free of post-workout jitters. Those who like flavored supplements appreciate the bold and sharp taste that this one offers.
Reviewers stated that they like the price, and many appreciated that the effects were almost instant. In my on experience, it blends easily, so you can mix it with anything you like. It isn’t hard on the stomach and works better on an empty one, according to reviews.
One thing to keep an eye out for is that the powder tends to clump up, so make sure that you store it carefully.
It is high in caffeine, so if you like that boost where you feel like you “can take on the world,” this could be ideal. If you are sensitive to tingles, beware that this could be a bit too much for you and you should start off slow.
- It provides a powerful energy increase perfect for when you don’t really feel like working out.
- Users appreciate that it blends well, so you can have a smooth pre-workout drink.
- It offers quality for a fair price.
- Reviewers commented on the great tasting flavor.
- It doesn’t cause stomach issues.
- It can get clumpy if the container isn’t closed properly.
- For those who are sensitive to caffeine, you may experience tingles or jitters
If you’re looking for supplements for women specifically, you’ll like this option. Unlike some other women-specific supplements on the market, this option is not pricey. It offers just the right amount of energy-boosting so that you can avoid fatigue in your training but don’t crash afterward.
It also has been said to enhance your cortisol-fighting ability and allows for better mental focus. While some users consider it to be too weak, for those who want to avoid caffeine jitters, this could be ideal for you.
Reviews state that the flavor is tasty, and it can be blended easily. Ideal for when you don’t feel like working out, the BeautyFit Beauty Strong supplement can give you just the right amount of energy to get your exercise done.
- It offers a decent energy boost without being heavy in caffeine.
- Users like the price point on this option.
- It has a nice taste that won’t leave you with an unpleasant aftertaste.
- Women appreciate that it has been designed for females.
- It isn’t as strong as some other options, which could matter to performance athletes.
- It doesn’t last as long as some other options.
This product containing Beta Alanine, as well as caffeine from various sources, is designed for both men and women. If you’re a couple looking for the pre-workout option you can share, this could be a good choice.
Offering clean energy, so that you are able to put in the maximum effort into your workout without any jitters.
With creatine and caffeine, this product has the big players in any pre-workout supplement, except it’s been carefully designed so that you only get the good from it, and don’t have to worry about harmful side effects.
Because the manufacturers took great care in creating this powder, you can get more than just extra power. It also helps with longer-lasting endurance and better muscle pumps. If you’re big on building up muscle, this is a great choice.
Reviewers like the clean kick for training, and while not everyone is a big fan of the flavor, many appreciate that it is easy to blend with other ingredients. Users love the fact that they don’t get the tingling effect that some other options offer.
- Reviews mention that the energy provided by this product is ideal.
- It offers good quality for a reasonable price.
- Users love that it doesn’t cause post-workout jitters.
- Some people like the sour-to-sweet flavor and say it tastes like candy.
- It is made with some powerful ingredients.
- Some people consider the flavor to be too sour.
- The energy kick could be a bit too much for those with caffeine sensitivity.
How Do Pre-Workout Supplements Work?
Now that you have an idea of what’s out there do you how they work? You may be looking to get the most out of your work out, so are willing to try something new that also keeps you motivated.
Many products contain caffeine, which is known to be an energy enhancer and can help your body burn fat for fuel, helping you to not only “get it” in your training but also see better results.
Ingredients are the main factor to focus on. This is because, obviously, what goes into the supplement is what will make a difference in your body. Not every supplement has the top ingredients that ensure the results that you’re looking for.
A key ingredient is creatine which can go far when building muscles and is a common one you’ll find in top-supplements. Below, you’ll discover some of the most important stuff to look for.
When Should You Take Pre-Workouts?
So, you’re getting more convinced about their benefits, but do you know when you should be taking them? Here are some tips to ensure that you get the most out of your pre-workout supplement:
You want to take your pre-workout drink or supplement before you head to the gym. Many people tend to take it while at the gym as they start their workout. The thing is that it typically takes around 30-minutes or so for it to kick in.
If you want to get the benefits during your training and not until you’re almost finished, drink it before you head out to exercise.
Don’t take them too late in the day. They offer a huge energy boost, especially the ones on our list. You don’t want your sleep schedule effected by taking them too late in the day. Sleep is as equally important as exercise for a healthy mind and body.
Can You Take Them Daily
Do you need to take it every day? Because the body tends to get used to substances like caffeine, you may want to avoid letting it get too used to the supplement. Consider taking it only on days where you need a big jump-start for high-intensity workouts or when you’re not feeling up to working out.
What Ingredients Are Commonly Used?
The better the ingredients, the better your pre-workout supplement. You want to avoid some but look for others. The following are top things that can benefit your body and are important to look for when shopping around:
Unless your body has caffeine sensitivity or you have heart issues that it can affect negatively, look for caffeinated supplements. Caffeine is a big reason why you’ll feel a kick of energy when taking pre-workout powders.
Be aware that you do want to be careful about how much caffeine is inside of the supplement. Too much can cause jitters while too little won’t do much for your power levels. Some people with caffeine sensitivity may opt for non-caffeinated options, although they may not get such a great energy boost.
Creatine is considered to be a very important ingredient in a pre-workout supplement. This is because it is a molecule that can provide your body with performance-enhancing benefits and is also considered to be very safe for consumption. The way it works to enhance your workout is by providing your body with an increase of protein synthesis, resulting in increased power output. Many bodybuilders like to use products with creatine as it has been known to be especially helpful in gaining muscle mass.
Amino acids have always been considered important for workouts, both pre or post workout. This is why you want to find BCAA in your supplement. It is made up of three top amino acids that are beneficial for muscle recovery.
It is also important for keeping muscle aches at bay so that you can get the most out of your workout. Muscle recovery is a big part of building muscles.
L-arginine, L-citrulline Malate, and L-norvaline
From helping with muscle tissue repair to removing waste from your body and helping with blood flow, these ingredients are all very helpful for not enhancing your performance but also keeping you healthy and safe. All of the benefits they provide are also designed with energy-enhancement in mind. Be aware that some of them could clash with medication, so talk to your doctor if you happen to be on meds for any reason.
Are There Any Side Effects?
Unfortunately, there are some side effects that can happen from taking supplements. Most of the time, it’s about looking for what’s inside the product before purchase as some ingredients are known for causing issues. Some of the most common side effects are:
Jitters And Post-Workout Crashes
This is often due to a high amount of caffeine in the supplement. While you do want caffeine in your supplement. You don’t want too much where you’re crashing hard afterward or getting the jitters during your workout. A tingling face may feel like you’re full of energy, but it isn’t healthy for you. There are different ways to avoid this: take smaller scoops in your smoothie or look for options that don’t have huge amounts.
Creatine is a good ingredient for building muscle mass and getting gains from your workout, but it can also lead to water retention, which will make you feel bloated and have digestive issues. Avoid this by taking smaller amounts of your supplement or looking for an option with low levels.
Some people have allergic reactions to supplements. Whether you’re sensitive to caffeine or find that some options have fillers containing dairy or gluten, you could end up with rashes or stomach issues. Make sure to do your research on ingredients before purchasing any supplement.
Do pre-workout drinks help with weight loss?
Yes, pre-workout drinks can help with weight loss because you will be able to train harder and achieve more in the same amount of time. The more you can exercise, the better the results will be
Is pre-workout unhealthy?
No, most pre-workout supplements are not unhealthy as they are based on natural ingredients. Unless you have allergies or intolerances, you should be just fine.
Is pre-workout a fat burner?
No, generally speaking, pre-workout is not a fat burner, even though some of them contain stimulants like caffeine that can act as a fat burner. Their main goal is to increase endurance and strength at the gym.
Is pre-workout bad for your kidneys?
Excessive amounts of pre-workout can be bad for your kidneys. Caffeine and creatine can act as diuretics which means you can lush out too much water. In the long run, this can have an impact on kidney function.
What is the difference between a fat burner and pre-workout?
The difference between a fat burner and pre-workout is that one aims to get your metabolism to melt away some fat, while the other aims to give you more endurance and strength at the gym.
Should you take pre-workout on an empty stomach?
No, generally speaking, you shouldn’t take pre-workout on an empty stomach. This can lead to stomach cramps if you’re sensitive to some of the ingredients.
For women, the number one product found on the market will be a supplement specifically designed for what female bodies need. PowHer is considered to be one of the best options on the market for women who are looking for both energy and focus in their workouts.
It has been known to provide a power boost without causing post-workout jitters. It provides clean ingredients and doesn’t take much for you to feel the effect, so you know that it can last longer than your average powder.
While it may be a bit pricier than some other options, the quality is unmatched, and the results make it worth it.