No matter what pre and post workout proteins you prefer, it’s always a good idea to change things around a bit. While the majority of products offer a very broad range of amino acids, you can achieve more by choosing a few different ones.
And for me, pea protein is one of those completely underrated options.
It’s an excellent vegan protein, especially if your fitness goals are muscle building, as it provides one of the broadest ranges of amino acids that are needed for muscle growth.
The problem is that there are (a) not that many pea-based recovery shakes available, and (b) some of them are not particularly good quality.
So, I decided to test out a load of them, and do some research into online reviews to see which ones can be recommended.
Our Top 5 Best Pea Protein Powder Recommendations
| #1 - Nuzest Clean Lean Protein
|5.0 stars out of 5
| #2 - Zen Principle Organic Pea Protein Powder
|4.5 stars out of 5
| #3 - NorCal Organic
|4.0 stars out of 5
Table of Contents
With 25 grams per serving, this pea protein powder does offer a healthy amount of protein for the person who wants to get the right amount of macros per day. As a low fat and low-carb option, it helps people stay on top of any diet they may be on.
It’s also low sugar, which is always a good thing for anyone with diabetes or on a keto diet.
As a gluten free, dairy free, and soy free protein powder, Nuzest helps those who have food allergies be able to get their protein from a safe and healthy source. While some users do consider it to be a bit pricey for the amount of product, others feel that the quality of the vegan protein makes it worth it.
For those who are looking for a clean protein without all the fillers and extras, this one is considered to be one of the best by thousands of users. The flavors are smooth, and tasty and many reviewers like the texture that is easy to blend.
- It is free of most of the normal allergens, making it one of the safest options for those with allergies.
- Some commented on how it has a pleasant taste that isn’t overwhelming or too sweet.
- It is low carb and low fat, making it ideal for those on diets.
- It is high in protein, so you can be sure that you’re getting the amount you need.
- It has a smooth texture that is easy to mix with other ingredients.
- It has an odd smell, which may be off-putting to some.
This organic pea protein powder is full of amino acids and is soy, gluten, GMO, and dairy free, so not only is it designed to be good for you, it’s safe for people with allergies. While some users aren’t the biggest fan of the chalky texture, the flavor does blend well with other ingredients in smoothies, etc.
People who found whey protein to be heavy on their stomachs like how this option is easy to digest. While it is considered to be a bit on the pricey side, many reviewers love the quality and safe ingredients found in Zen Principle and believe it’s worth the added cost.
It has a good level of protein and a low-calorie level, making it perfect for those who are trying to be careful with their macros or are using it for weight loss. Users commented on how it fills them up, so it also acts as an appetite suppressant, which is great for avoiding binge eating.
- It is high in protein and low in calories, making it ideal for weight loss use.
- The powder’s flavor is smooth enough to blend with other foods.
- It is easy on the stomach, so you don’t have to worry about an upset stomach after use.
- People like how this organic powder is filling and acts as an appetite suppressant.
- It’s allergen free, so it’s a natural and safe option for many.
- It is high in sodium, which could cause problems for some people.
- Users don’t like the somewhat chalky texture.
If you’re looking for a truly organic and natural protein powder, this NorCal Organic powder made from yellow peas is what you need. Offering 22g of protein and made without sugars, colors, soy, gluten, or dairy, it’s a safe option for many and great for vegans.
While it is a bit pricey for a 2lb bag, the quality of this vegan protein is better than many, making it an attractive option for some people. The creamy texture makes it easy to blend in anything from teas to smoothies. Users like how it doesn’t have a strong taste, as it makes it easy to use with any type of food or drink.
Reviewers also like how easy it is on the stomach, so if you’ve been having difficulty with other powders, this could be a good alternative. Full of amino acids and without stevia or any chemicals found in other options, it’s the all-natural option that many reviewers love.
- Users love how clean this protein is, without sugar, allergens, and stevia.
- It is full of top nutrients and high in protein, making it a very healthy option.
- People commented on how it is easy on the stomach, which is always a good feature.
- The powder is easy to blend with other foods, as it is subtle and not overwhelming.
- It has a smooth texture that is easy to blend into food and drinks.
- It can go off a bit quickly, so make sure that you keep the bag closed.
- The smell may be a bit off-putting to some.
A rather affordable option for those who want to try out a clean powder with no filler, man people like this BulkSupplements powder. The smooth texture is actually something a lot of people like about this option, as it makes it easy to blend with nearly any type of food or drink.
As a high-in-protein powder, you can be sure that you’re getting what you need for your diet. Users commented on how it doesn’t cause bloat and is easy to digest, which is a great thing when it comes to protein powders.
The texture blends well and can be used in baked goods or smoothies. If you happen to have any sensitivity to high-sodium content, this may not be the option for you as it has a lot.
- The texture is smooth and easy to blend, so you’ll have various options for consumption.
- It doesn’t cause bloat like a lot of other options, so it’s easy on your stomach.
- It isn’t sweetened, but its blandness makes it easy to add to any type of food.
- High in protein, so you don’t have to worry about whether you’re getting your right amount.
- It is a pretty good deal for the price and quality.
- It is very high in sodium, so if you have health conditions that could be affected by this, be aware.
- Some reviewers weren’t happy about the bag it comes in as they stated it is difficult to close and store the product in it.
5. Naked Pea
For naked nutrition that is no-frills, Naked Pea offers a safe and healthy option for your morning smoothie. For the amount of product provided, this is one of the best deals out there, so if someone is looking for a high amount of product for the price, this could be it for you.
Gluten, soy, and GMO-free, without any added colors, sweeteners, or flavors, you can trust this Naked Pea powder to be a clean alternative to other powders. It is high in protein at 27g of protein, so if you want to be sure you’re getting what you need, this is a good option.
Those who have used this product appreciate the fluffy texture that is easy to blend into smoothies, etc., although it does have a gritty aftertaste.
It’s nearly flavorless, so you can easily mix it with the ingredients you prefer. While there is a weird smell, it’s easy to get past it when you blend it with your favorite food or drink.
- It is high in protein, which is a big yes in any pea protein powder.
- It is free of allergens like soy and gluten.
- The taste is easy to combine with other foods or ingredients.
- Users like how much product is offered at a fair price.
- This powder is easy on the stomach and doesn’t cause bloat like some other options.
- The aftertaste is a bit unpleasant for some.
- The texture can be a bit foamy, which makes it easy to make a mess when preparing smoothies.
What Is Pea Protein Powder?
If you’re a vegan, it could be one of the best things you’ve ever found on the market. Extracted from yellow peas, pea protein powder is a surprisingly good alternative to most main-stream protein powders.
As a vegan, you want to check protein powders carefully to ensure that you’re not eating anything with animal-based protein in it. Or, even if you’re not a vegan, you could have a reaction to normal whey-based protein powders and are looking for something that won’t make you feel sick.
Peas are a great source of protein, thanks to their high BCAA content, and because peas are good for suppressing your appetite, it is surprisingly good for weight loss, as well. Pea protein powders are also typically free from a lot of ingredients that some people have allergies to, so it’s also ideal for you if you happen to have any major allergy.
What Features You Need To Focus On
As you start shopping around for a great pea protein powder, do you know what you need to look for? The above options have some features that you should look for. To help you choose, the following three things are very important to check out before purchasing the protein powder for you.
Organic is always better, from fruits and vegetables to protein powders, so if you can make the choice of paying a few extra bucks for a totally organic protein powder, it’s a great idea. The fewer chemicals you allow into your body, the better. Vegan protein powders will mean fewer toxins in your body, so investing in an organic pea protein powder is a win-win all around.
Calories per Gram
If you’re trying to lose weight, it goes without saying that you will want to avoid anything that has too many calories. Look for the options with fewer calories per gram, especially if you happen to keep track of your macros. You don’t want the protein powder to give you plenty of protein but make you go too high with your calorie count in a day.
What will you be using your powder in? If it’s for cookies or baked goods, unflavored may be a good idea so that you can easily blend it with whatever flavored cookies you may be baking.
If you’re making a smoothie with it, it may be nice to have a taste you like so that you can flavor your drink with it. This will make it easier to drink and more enjoyable, depending on what you mix it with.
Common Side Effects
As a natural, plant-based powder, they are, for the most part, quite safe for consumption. Of course, there are some things to consider before you blindly start using pea protein powder. For example:
- Gout issues: Because split peas are high in purine, you may find that uric acid is a result of too much pea protein powder, which can result in gout issues—which is only something you have to be concerned about if you’ve ever had gout problems.
- High sodium: The one “bad” thing about peas is that they are known to be high in sodium. If you, for any reason, have to watch your sodium intake, you may want to take it easy with how often you take pea protein powders.
- Kidney problems: People say that too much protein can be bad for your kidneys. The truth is that most people don’t ever even get as much protein as they should be getting anyway, so if this is true, it will take a lot to cause you harm. Either way, too much of any good thing is not a good thing, so don’t drink more than a couple of protein smoothies a day.
For the most part, pea protein powders are much safer than other types of powders, and if you’re someone who doesn’t eat meat or animal-based foods, they could be the best bet out there for a vegan option.
Pea Protein vs Whey Protein
Why choose pea protein over whey protein? The most obvious reason is if you are a vegan. Whey protein is made from cows’ milk, which means that it is not at all vegan. There are many other reasons to choose pea protein over whey protein. For example:
- Pea protein powders tend to be free of many allergens, such as soy, dairy, and gluten. While some whey proteins are as well, the majority of pea protein manufacturers are already committed to providing safe protein powders, and many pea protein products are natural and organic.
- Pea proteins are high in amino acids. While whey protein may offer more BCAAs than pea proteins, pea powders tend to have more arginine, which is a great amino acid that your body needs when bodybuilding.
- Pea proteins are often unflavored. While not always the case, many pea protein powders are unflavored, so it’s easier to blend them with our favorite smoothie or foods. Some of them may have a strong pea taste, so take your time to find one that is bland and easy to blend.
For the most part, those who choose to use pea protein powders over whey protein are people who are looking to avoid animal-based products. If you’re a vegan, you may be looking for alternatives to getting your protein intake, and this could be the best way to do it.
The above-mentioned pea protein powders are just a few of the options on the market that many reviewers love. From Naked Nutrition to BulkSupplements, there are many brands to choose from in the world of protein powders.
As a vegan, you want an honest product that has been designed for your needs. Pea protein powders that are dairy-free are perfect for what you’re looking for. High in amino acids and many times free of allergens, they make staying healthy easy. Many of the options on our list are free of artificial sweeteners, which is also something that many people look for in their protein powders.
Reviewers are big on the Nuzest Clean Lean Protein as it is very high in protein and very low in carbs and fat, making it a great option for those who are on a diet or working towards weight loss. Do you know what kind of protein powder is best for your needs?