When people hear conversations about using lean muscle mass supplements, then they invariably jump to the conclusion that anabolic steroids are the topic. But that is a very common misconception.
I have seen many athletes resort to these types of steroids, and they never end well. But you can still bulk up fast, with the right type of effective supplement product.
While proteins are going to be vital to bulking up, you also want to look for ways to trigger your body’s own growth hormone production. And this can be achieved with a totally safe and legal supplement.
So, if you’re looking for that little extra edge to get that lean and ripped appearance, then try out some of our recommendations.
Our Top 10 Best Mass Gainers Recommendations
| #1 - Transparent Labs Mass Gainer || Gets Results And Gets Them Fast||5.0 stars out of 5|
| #2 - OPTIMUM NUTRITION Serious Mass || Great For Those Who Need Serious Gains||4.5 stars out of 5|
| #3 - BSN True-Mass || Excellent Value For Money||4.0 stars out of 5|
Table of Contents
- 1 Our Top 10 Best Mass Gainers Recommendations
- 1.1 1. Transparent Labs Mass Gainer
- 1.2 2. OPTIMUM NUTRITION Serious Mass: Great For Those Who Need Serious Gains
- 1.3 3. BSN True-Mass: Excellent Value For Money
- 1.4 4. Genius Muscle Builder: Gets Results And Gets Them Fast
- 1.5 5. CystoSport CytoGainer: Affordable And Ideal For Lower Weight
- 1.6 6. MuscleMeds Carnivore Mass: Beef Protein
- 2 What Are Weightgainer Supplements?
- 3 Who Are They Suitable For?
- 4 Different Types
- 5 When And How To Take Them
- 6 Potential Side Effects
- 7 Important Questions
- 8 Frequently Asked Questions
- 9 Conclusion
Transparent Labs is all about whey protein based amino acids. As far as mass gainer supplements go, it provides one of the highest amounts of calories in each serving, making it less likely that you need to double dose it.
It also has absolutely no artificial crap added in just to make it taste a bit better. No fillers, GMO and Gluten free means that it gives added peace of mind for food intolerances.
Users also comment that is mixes very easily and the taste is actually rather pleasant. Only downside for those that may need a few of these a day is that it just comes in two flavor options.
Overall though, this certainly up there as one of the best protein powders available. And just keep in mind that it has 109 grams of carbohydrate so it might not be suitable for all diets.
- Over 700 kcal per serving
- Available in two very tasty flavors: Chocolate, Cookies and Cream
- Mixes very well with water
- No artificial crap added, it’s all about solid ingredients
- Some extra flavors would be nice
For those who like their mass gainers to be flavored, you may appreciate this chocolate powder. Optimum Nutrition’s unique packaging makes it easy for you to fit it anywhere needed, whether in your kitchen or with you at the gym. The size options of this complete mass gainer allow you to try it out without committing to a large tub of the same product.
It contains 50 grams of protein a serving, so you also get the building blocks for a great recovery effect after your workout. It also contains vitamins and minerals, so while you’re working towards getting gains in your weightlifting, you’ll also be providing your body with “the good stuff.”
While not ideal for those with allergies to various foods, it is a great option for adding to your morning coffee or workout smoothie, with a flavor that works well with fruits. If you’re allergic to dairy or wheat, you may want to look elsewhere.
It’s very convenient for those who are quite lean and want to gain a sufficient amount of muscle and weight, while not so ideal for those who only need to add a few more calories to their diet.
- The package sizes make it easy to try out the powder before making a more expensive commitment to a large tub.
- It is chocolate flavored so it can add a great taste to any of your workout drinks or smoothies.
- Optimum Nutrition makes a big difference for those who are very lean and want to bulk up.
- Reasonably priced, making it ideal for those shopping on a budget.
- It is packed with calories, so it’s not the best for those who only need a slight increase in their diet.
- The texture is a bit challenging to blend without a blender, so make sure that you have one before purchasing it.
If you don’t want to pay a lot for a small bag of cytogainer, the BSN may be the option for you. At 5.82lbs, this mass gainer has quite a lot of content for a very low price.
Does it work? It has a good balance of carbohydrate and protein that does benefit lean people who are looking to increase muscle and weight through a combination of whey and casein.
Providing around 700 kcal per serving, it provides a lot more than some other options, so if you’re lean and trying to gain muscle, this could be the ideal option for you. It has a chocolatey flavor that a lot of people like. This can be a hit and miss when choosing a mass gainer supplement, so this is an attractive part of this mass gainer.
The texture is nice because it’s not chalky and chunky, so you can easily blend it. While a blender is suggested for making your workout shake, it can also be mixed by hand. Unless you have allergies to wheat, it doesn’t cause bloating or an upset stomach.
- The BSN has a lot of product for a good price, making it more affordable than many other options.
- The flavor is easy to drink and tastes good in shakes with fruit and other ingredients.
- Contains the right number of kcal for those who are looking to gain some muscle and weight.
- The texture mixes well, so you don’t have to worry about blending it forever to be able to drink it.
- It works quickly for those who need to put on some weight while seeking gains from their exercise.
- The suggested serving size and scoop that comes with it is a little too much powder for many people’s preferences.
- It has been known to cause acne in some people, so this may be something to be cautious about.
While pricey, the Genius Muscle Builder is a favorite for me because it does help you to get results fast. Using HMB and Vitamin D as a beneficial combination, this supplement is a natural option for those who are looking to improve strength and energy for better workouts.
Not only was this product designed to help you build mass, but it also delivers enhanced mental energy and focus, which can go far in helping people get “#gainz.” The packaging of this Genius Muscle Builder helps users be able to take it anywhere with them while providing enough to last a month.
Unlike some other products that take a long time for you to see results, this option allows you to actually feel the effect as soon as you start using it for your workouts. This mass builder is designed for both women and men, so you don’t have to worry about getting hormones that aren’t meant for your gender.
It’s the ideal alternative to using other products that may not be as good for your body as this health supplement is.
- It works quickly and effectively, so you can start seeing muscle gains in no time.
- Not only helps you to gain muscle mass, but it’s beneficial for mental focus as well.
- It can help you to see better muscle gains in as little as a month, if not sooner.
- It’s convenient and easy to take with you in your gym or travel bag.
- Has a decent tasting flavor that makes it easy to drink in your morning smoothie.
- It doesn’t come with as much product as you would hope when paying the price.
- It’s not cheap, which may be a negative factor for those looking for a more affordable option.
- The tub is large while being quite affordable, making it a great deal.
- It offers a fair amount of kcal per serving without being too much for those who don’t want to put on too much weight.
- It doesn’t contain sugar or fructose, so you don’t have to worry about drinking the “bad stuff.”
- It’s not too challenging to blend, with or without a blender.
- Ideal for recovery and weight management for those who want to enhance results from their workouts.
- The amount of protein you need to get from it means that you have to serve a lot of the powder, which can be challenging to drink in one shot.
- It is not FDA approved, but most supplements like this are not.
If you want to get some protein from meat, this mass gainer is a favorite. It not only provides good protein, but it also provides 6 pounds of powder at a low price. If you need a mass gainer that can help you with strength and recovery, aside from muscle mass, this could be the ideal option for you.
For those who have allergies, this may be the answer for you. It is lactose, sugar, and gluten-free, so you don’t have to worry about an upset stomach when drinking this powder. It provides users with around 700 kcal, as well as 50g of protein per serving, so you can be sure that you’re getting what you need.
The texture is a bit challenging to blend, so it is suggested that you use a blender to make your shake, but the flavor is quite decent and easy to drink. While it is a bit heavy, it won’t cause bloating or stomach aches for most users.
- It offers a lot of product for a very reasonable price, so you don’t have to break the bank to gain muscle.
- It provides a good amount of calories per serving, so lean people will see gains without putting on unhealthy weight.
- The flavor is decent, which is always a positive factor in these kinds of powders.
- The animal-based protein helps to provide users with healthy energy and strength for workouts.
- It’s great for those with allergies to things like gluten and lactose.
- It’s tough to blend due to a very chunky texture.
- It is a bit sweet, which could be a downside for some people.
What Are Weightgainer Supplements?
Weight gainers are designed to provide a high-calorie intake for those who have a difficult time gaining weight otherwise. They are usually packed with a variety of vitamins, carbohydrates, and proteins that make it simple for people to get the amount of these ingredients they need for gaining weight and building muscle.
They’re usually made to drink as a shake, which makes it convenient to take first thing before your training. Of course, you can drink the powder with whatever you feel like. Mass gainers are usually created with flavors that go well with a fruit smoothie or shake, although you can find unique flavors from certain brands if you aren’t into the typical ones like chocolate or strawberry and vanilla, which happen to be the most common ones on the market.
Most mass gainers will have anywhere from 500 to 1,200 kcal, which is what you want to look for if you need to put on a significant amount of weight. Many of these supplements have a blend that makes them almost like a meal replacement.
Who Are They Suitable For?
For those who gain weight easily, you may not want to use mass gainers for “gainz” in the gym. But, for those of you who are trying to gain muscle mass and who are naturally slim and have a hard time getting bigger, they are a “god-send.”
Because of the calorie and protein amounts, they do wonders for providing “skinny” people with a boost of high-quality energy that can make a difference in the results they’ll see from exercise at the gym.
Those with very fast metabolism may burn fat off very quickly, which is all well and good if you don’t want to gain muscle. But, if you’re someone who is hoping to “buff up,” it can be very frustrating to eat as much as you can and still not put on any weight.
Healthy fat can be turned into muscle, so supplements work well in helping individuals to put on the right kind of weight that can be toned into bigger muscles.
They are also ideal for those who have very busy schedules and have a challenging time eating the right kind of foods and as much food as they need. They are full of beneficial nutrients, so they can work well as a supplement for a meal every now and then.
Because most mass gainers are created to provide users with energy, they are also ideal for athletes who burn a lot of energy due to the intensity of their sports and exercise. If the athlete is practicing their sport often, they will need to make sure to get the right amount of energy they need to keep their strength up.
Another reason why it may be good for you is that it’s tough to eat a lot of food throughout the day for some people and can feel heavy on your stomach. Whereas drinking liquid nutrition can be a bit easier to “stomach” and help you ensure that you’re getting the right amount of kcal, you need to support more muscle growth and put on some weight.
It’s important to look at the different kinds of mass gainers out there. Not every type has what you need, and you shouldn’t be drinking just any type, depending on your needs. Some are created for those who don’t want to put on too much weight and would rather get lean gains.
Others are designed specifically for those who aren’t only looking for muscle gaining benefits but also want their supplement to provide them with an added boost of energy and strength for their workouts, which usually happens when you’re taking supplements with a high protein level.
Some are designed to help with recovery, others have a slew of ingredients while some only have the basic ones you need. It’s important to understand what kind of results you want in your muscle gainer before buying one.
Also, understanding your nutritional needs can help you know when you should get certain nutrients from supplements and when you should get them from food.
When And How To Take Them
It really depends on what you need from your training. Some users like to drink their mass gainer in the morning before their workouts, especially if they are drinking one that helps with their energy and strength. Others want to drink it after their training, so it can aid them in their recovery.
For those who are really looking to put on the weight in order to gain muscle, they may even drink it in between meals as a snack. So, it is ultimately up to you and what your fitness goals are. In fact, it isn’t a good idea to buy just any powder and then figure out your routine after buying it. Don’t go shopping for your fitness supplements until you have a clear understanding of what will work best for your fitness goals.
So before you start taking this type of supplement, it’s important to understand some things. Consider the following:
- How many servings do you need at once? The answer to this lies in what kind of results you’re looking for. For example, you may find a great product that provides the right amount of carb intake that you need, but then you also want to get enough protein from it, but find that in order to get that level of protein intake, you may need two scoops instead of one. You’ll need to understand what you’re looking for and what the product contains before knowing how many servings to have. Most users will be fine with one serving per shake, but not everyone.
- How much weight are you looking to gain? If you’re on the slim side, but you can gain weight when you really try to, you may not need to take in so many calories. The last thing you want to do is gain weight rapidly and not be able to produce muscle fast enough. For those with lightning-fast metabolism, you’ll want to get a mass gainer that has more than 500 kcal per serving. In fact, you should probably consider getting as much energy as possible from your shake, especially if you aren’t able to get the right kind of food that you need to, to get it from there. If you are slim and fit but can put on weight fast is to take a supplement that provides you with less than 500 kcal per serving.
- There are different ways to get in the calories. A lot of people blend the powder into a shake, but there are different ways to take it, so it really depends on what works for you. If you’re someone who hates making a shake in the morning but you love your daily oatmeal, you can always use it with your favorite cereal. If you like eating peanut butter and like the healthy fats from natural peanut butter, why not make a snack out of it by making peanut butter balls with the powder incorporated into it? You can always drink a blended liquid with egg whites, oats, and your mass gainer for a real kick of power before your training.
- If you are unsure of what you need, talk to an expert. Whether you have a trainer or a nutritionist, it’s important to understand your body’s needs before you start putting any random thing in it. While most of these mass gainers are created to be used by anyone and won’t really cause much harm if you do overdo it, you need to know your personal needs and body. If you don’t know how to figure out what you need more of, speak to someone who does.
Potential Side Effects
Unfortunately, not every mass gainer will be okay for just anyone. For example, there are some mass gainers that are chock-full of gluten, sugar, and dairy. If you have allergies to certain foods, you’re going to want to make sure that you avoid taking any mass gainer that is going to make you sick.
Here are some common side effects of using mass gainers without caution:
- Some users get stomachaches from drinking mass gainers. This can be very annoying when you’re trying to get the benefits from them but can barely stomach the shake. A lot of times, this can happen when the person has some type of intolerance or allergy to one of the ingredients, and sometimes the individual simply isn’t used to the amount of energy they are getting from the mass gainer. If you’re unsure of whether the mass gainer is going to sit well with you, you may want to try out one that isn’t heavy in certain ingredients or calories. Bloated bellies and digestive problems are no fun, so do your research before purchasing just any kind of mass gainer.
- Gaining weight can happen if you aren’t using the right type for you. Some people, in an attempt to increase muscle fast, will overdo it with their mass gainer. Drinking more than just a few shakes a day a few times a week is not a good idea—even if you’re skinny. You should also be cautious with the ‘energy per serving’ that you choose. You don’t want to cause weight gain instead of muscle gain. If you are really in doubt about this, then talk to your health provider before making the purchase.
- Liver issues can happen. Along with the increased weight, overdoing it with the mass gainer can also mean liver issues. While vitamins are great in the proper dosage, it is important that you don’t overload your body with them. From nausea to liver problems, too much weight gain powder is never a good idea.
- Make sure that you blend it up well. Some mass gainers can be very challenging to blend due to the consistency of the powder. Even if you need to buy a blender to be able to mix it well with water or milk, you don’t want to be drinking a shake with chunks of powder in it. For one, that just isn’t appetizing, but for two, it’s also going to make it a bit rough on your stomach.
- If you’re on medications, you need to ask your doctor if it’s okay that you take the supplement that you want to take. Some medications do not combine well with certain ingredients in supplements. While the supplement may work perfectly fine for your body without the meds, the combination can cause you to get sick. Avoid possible bad medicine interactions with your supplement by checking with your health provider.
- Sugar isn’t good. Some supplement manufacturers add sugar to their products as a way to make it more flavorful. While your taste buds may thank you, sugar isn’t going to do much good for you in your workout routine. In fact, too much sugar in someone’s diet can lead to further health problems, even if you’re as slim as can be. Avoid the sugar, and want to gain the benefits of helpful calories.
If you’re new to the world of supplements, building muscles, and improving your overall results from your exercise, you may have several questions pertaining to mass gainers. Here are some of the most commonly asked questions about mass gainers:
- Can I take my supplements with just any food? You can certainly take your mass gainer with foods, but be aware that because of the heavy calories, it could make your stomach bloat a lot depending on what you’re eating it with. If you don’t mind a little bloat or the easiest way to take it is to add it to your food, just make sure that you don’t combine it with foods that already make you bloat normally.
- Can I have my mass gainer immediately before my workout session? A lot of people do this, but it may not be the best time for everyone. For example, if you drink it with food right before your trip to the gym, it may cause bloat, which can make your workout uncomfortable. While you can definitely take it before working out, try to take it a while before. For example, if you like to work out mid-day, why not consider drinking a shake with your mass gainer first thing in the morning.
- Can I take it even on days when I’m not working out? If you really need to get some serious gains and your metabolism means that you burn everything off quickly, you could definitely take the mass gainer on the days that you’re not working out. If you know that you could gain a bit of weight (fat) if not careful while taking weight gainers, it’s okay to drink the supplement on days that you don’t work out on but maybe avoid drinking as much as you usually do, as you won’t be burning the energy that you normally do while training.
- Is there such a thing as too much mass gainer if you’re someone who struggles with gaining weight and muscle? For someone who is looking to gain weight so that they can increase muscle and not be so slim, they may be tempted to take as much mass gainer as possible. It’s easy to drink a bunch of shakes thinking that you’re skinny and can get as many calories as you need. While this may be true, what is also true is that it’s not good to get too much of a good thing. For example, some of the vitamins in these powders are not good in high dosages. It’s important to watch out for this. Also, if you have any type of intolerance to substances in the mass gainer, but they don’t usually affect you, they could if you drink more than you should.
Frequently Asked Questions
Which is better whey protein or mass gainer?
Whey protein is better for muscle recovery, and mass gainer is better to help you train hard enough to build new muscle fibers. Basically, the two types of supplements complement each other, and you should consider taking both for best results.
Can I mix whey protein with mass gainer?
Yes, you can mix whey protein with mass gainer, but you want to check first how much protein is included in the mass gainer. These supplements usually contain some protein as well, and you may end up taking more than you actually need.
Can you take mass gainer and Creatine?
Yes, you can take mass gainer and creatine, and it’s actually a good approach to getting the most out of your training. The creatine will help with strength and endurance during training, while the mass gainer will give you enough dietary energy to sustain your training.
Should you take mass gainer before workout?
No, you should take mass gainer supplements before a workout, but rather after training when you get home. The volume of nutrients is going to be very high, and your stomach might struggle to deal with it while you’re working out.
Mass gainers can be incredibly helpful for those who have been looking to enhance their workouts and gain muscle. In fact, they may be the only way that some slimmer people may be able to see some gains in the gym.
There are several different types on the market, so do your research before just buying any type of weight gaining powder. Each person has a unique body, and what could work perfectly well for your friend that is also trying to build muscle could end up making you sick.
The above-mentioned mass gainers are some pretty trust-worthy ones on the market. Did you see one that could work for you and your needs? Make sure to read the ingredients and decide on one that isn’t going to cause any negative side effects.