I’ll be first to admit that when I heard about people doing a keto diet with practically no carb in per day, I was skeptical and thought it was just another fad.
That was until I spoke with a dietician that I regular partner with for my clients. She told me about the entire history and that’s been around for a very long time. So, I was intrigued and decided to eventually give it a try.
I’m not one of those hardcore keto fans, but I regularly go through 3-month cycles of keto, especially if I want to lose a few pounds after Christmas. But the one problem I found is that the majority of supplements in my pantry weren’t suitable.
So, I spent my last keto cycle experimenting with some products that I really think are working well. And to save you the time and expense of having to do the trial yourself, I’ve listed them out below.
Our Top 10 Best Keto Protein Powder Recommendations
| #1 - Perfect Keto Protein Powder Unflavored || 100% Grass-fed Collagen||5.0 stars out of 5|
| #2 - BPI Sports ISO HD || Good For Lean Muscle Growth||4.5 stars out of 5|
| #3 - OPTIMUM NUTRITION Platinum Hydrowhey || Very High in Protein||4.0 stars out of 5|
Table of Contents
For those who struggle with finding the perfect flavor of keto protein powder, this option is ideal, as you simply add it to whatever type of food or ingredients you like. The lack of flavor makes it easy to blend with almost any type of shake or meal.
Not only is it full of healthy protein but it also has pure MCT oil powder which is good for your ketone levels, and with 1.5 grams of acacia fiber, you’ll also be helping your gut health when you use this powder.
Made from natural ingredients, you don’t have to worry about harming your body with your breakfast smoothie. As a gluten-free powder, it’s ideal for those with celiac disease. The hydrolyzed protein is great for your overall health, including hair, nails, and skin. While it isn’t the cheapest protein around, it is one of the best ones on the market for those who are concerned about what they’re eating.
- The creamy texture makes it easy to blend, so you can easily drink it with water or milk.
- It offers plenty of protein per serving, making it a great source for your daily protein intake.
- The collagen in the powder is also amazing for your skin, hair, and nails, which is always a good thing.
- The lack of flavor makes it easy to mix with almost anything, from your morning coffee to your post-workout milkshake.
- It is odorless, so it goes down easily in any kind of food or drink.
- It doesn’t offer that much product for the price, which could be a factor for some.
- The included scoop is much to long for comfortable storage.
BPI Sports has a great amount of protein per serving. With 25 grams of ultra-premium whey protein isolate, it’s a protein powder you can trust to give you that protein boost that you need. It’s designed for lean muscle growth and ultra-fast absorption, which makes it a good choice for those who don’t want to gain too much weight from their protein powder.
If you’re looking for a good flavor to add to your shakes, you’ll like the chocolate brownie taste. The only downside of this is that this protein powder contains a bit of high fructose corn syrup, which is certainly something most people avoid when it comes to their workout smoothies.
The whey protein also does a good job of filling you up, so that you don’t overeat throughout the day. It mixes well with water, which is great, as many powders turn into clumps with water. It’s decently priced for the amount of product you receive.
- The chocolate brownie flavor is easy-to-drink, so you can mix it with your favorite workout drink.
- It is an excellent source of protein, so you can be sure that you’re getting the amount that you need on a daily basis.
- The texture blends well with water, so if you want to avoid drinking milk smoothies, this is an ideal option.
- It’s offered at a fair price and provides you with a good amount of product, making it a great deal.
- It is low in carbs and calories, which is an attractive factor for those who don’t want to put on any weight gain.
- It has a bit of an aftertaste, which can be a bit annoying for some people.
- It’s a little too sweet for some people’s preference.
Offering 30g of pure protein per serving, the Optimum Nutrition powder is one that offers a higher amount than many other options. If you’re someone who struggles to eat well-rounded meals with plenty of protein, this may be the ideal option for you.
With 15.5G naturally occurring and added EAAS, you can also be sure to get the muscle recovery benefits from drinking this powder. Whether you are looking for an option that can supplement a meal or want a powdered drink for post-workout recovery, this powder has been designed to aid people in their muscle-gaining goals.
The advanced hydrolyzed whey protein isolates mean that it’s fast-working, which is always something helpful when you’re striving for clean and lean muscle gain. Unlike some other powders, this one is easy on the stomach, which is always helpful for those who tend to get gas with other brands.
- It is easy on your stomach, so you won’t be filling up your gym with an unpleasant smell during a workout.
- It is one of the options with the lowest amount of carbs and sugar, which is very beneficial to your fitness goals.
- It works well with milk or water, so you can blend it with nearly anything you want to drink it with.
- It fills you up, so you avoid overeating, which is beneficial for workout goals.
- It provides users with a great energy boost, which is a big plus in any protein powder.
- It is a bit pricey, which may be a problem if you’re shopping on a budget.
- It’s not dairy-free, so if you’re lactose intolerant, look elsewhere.
If you tend to put on weight easily, you may be searching for an option that allows you to drink protein powder without having to worry about weight gain. The 100% whey protein isolate offers 25g per serving, so you can be sure to get the amount you need for your muscle-gaining goals.
Because it contains coffee, it also provides you with an energy boost, which is good if you drink it in the morning for breakfast, but not so good if you want to drink it post-workout in the evening.
If you’re someone who is trying to get a good amount of nutrition while watching their ketogenic macros, this is a Keto-friendly powder you can trust. Many people with gluten or dairy intolerance have a hard time with powders, due to the fact that most protein mixes contain both gluten and lactose. The Isopure is so pure, as it is gluten, dairy, and sugar-free.
As far as flavors go, this coffee-flavored powder is pretty great tasting. It doesn’t have the best texture or the best pricing, but for the other benefits provided, it’s an ideal option for many.
- It’s a great option for those on a low-fat diet, so if you want to keep the calories low, this is a good option for you.
- It gives an extra boost of energy in a morning shake, thanks to the caffeine in the powder.
- It’s a great source of protein, providing users with 25g per serving.
- It doesn’t have a bad taste, making it a good option for those who care about flavor.
- It’s a very keto-friendly option, so you can stay in control of your macros when drinking this supplement.
- It doesn’t have the best texture, making it hard to mix with just anything.
- It has an unpleasant aftertaste, but all the nutrients more than make up for it.
A favorite for women due to the collagen peptides, this powder is ideal for those who want a powder that’s full of all the good stuff without all the unnecessary chemicals and additives.
This keto powder has an ideal chocolate flavor that blends well with almost any kind of morning shake you may like to drink. It can even blend well with coffee thanks to its creamy texture.
Free of things like soy and whey, this is an ideal alternative for those who tend to bloat with traditional protein powders. When it comes to flavors, this option actually doesn’t do a bad job. From chocolate flavors to birthday cake tastes, there is something for every type of preference. The only thing to be aware of is that it may have an unpleasant aftertaste, which could be a downer if you mix it with your morning coffee.
- This is a great alternative to more traditional whey or soy powders, especially if you are sensitive to these ingredients.
- It’s a collagen filled protein powder that not only gives you the energy boost you need but is good for you in many more ways than one.
- It has a good flavor that mixes well with a variety of foods or drinks, so you can drink it with anything from shakes to coffee.
- It’s easy on the stomach, which is not always easy to find in the world of protein powders.
- It’s a great source of protein, so you can use it as a supplement if you’re too busy to make sure that you’re getting enough from your food.
- It has a strong after taste that can ruin the powder for some people.
- The tub isn’t as full of the product as it should be, which makes it a bit pricey for the amount it offers.
Aubrey Marcus hit the mark with something: the Mexican chocolate flavor in this grass-fed whey isolate protein is unique and original. Tasting like a favorite chocolate powder found in Mexico, you can enjoy this powder with both milk or water, and still, get the chocolate milk style flavor.
The good thing about this powder is that it provides the protein you need from whey while helping you to avoid weight gain with the fat and carbs filtered out. This means that you’re getting a high amount of 20g of protein per serving.
As an NSF certified powder, you can be sure that you’ll be drinking a powder that is deemed safe for consumption. As an Onnit product, it is definitely a bit costly, but it is one of the cleanest and powerful protein powders around. While the consistency isn’t the best, it is an otherwise good option for any kind of pre-workout our post-workout shake that you may like to drink.
- It’s easy on the stomach, which is always a good thing to look for when shopping for protein powders.
- It has a smooth texture that can mix well with a variety of foods or drinks.
- It offers a high amount of protein per serving from whey isolate.
- It is low in calories, making it ideal for people who want to build muscle but avoid weight gain.
- It has a unique flavor that tastes good and will make you forget you’re drinking something healthy.
- The consistency may be a bit off-putting to some.
- It doesn’t offer that much product when it comes to the number on the “price tag.”
Chocolate-flavored protein powder makes it easy for you to drink this unique formula that is dairy-free and infused with probiotics. With egg-white protein, you can be sure that you’re getting a good amount of protein without having to worry about high cholesterol or calories in your smoothie.
Because of its unique formula, it’s easy to get full from drinking a shake with the Julian Bakery Powder. This means that you drink enough to provide you with the amount of protein that you need without needing to fill up on more food.
As a soy-free product, you don’t have to worry about adverse reactions from soy intolerance, and because it’s full of probiotics, it encourages gut health and keeps you from being bloated. With 25g of protein per serving, you can be sure that you’re getting the amount you need. Sweetened by monk fruit, you’ll be pleasantly surprised by the taste.
- It is a healthy and clean source of protein that is especially beneficial for those hoping to build lean muscle.
- It fills you up, so you can use it as a supplement for a meal when you don’t have time to get enough protein for breakfast.
- It blends well with anything from water to milk, so it’s easy to use, no matter how you prepare your protein smoothie.
- It doesn’t have a strong smell like many options, making it a favorite for those who don’t like gagging on their morning shake.
- It is low in calories, so you can avoid weight gain with your protein powder.
- It’s a bit too sweet for many people’s preferences and tastes like stevia.
- The aftertaste is a bit unpleasant, so you’ll want to consider this before purchase.
If you want to make sure that you’re drinking a 100% vegan-friendly product, this is the option for you. As a plant-based powder, it’s a vegan certified replacement for typical protein powders on the market. Offering 20g of non-GMO protein per serving, and free of gluten, dairy, and cholesterol, you can be sure that the Vegansmart is one of the cleanest sources of protein around.
Full of polyphenols and antioxidants, vitamins, and minerals, it’s also good for your body in many more ways than one. With 6g of dietary fiber, you can also be sure to get some of the daily fiber that you need. Omega-3 is also found in this powder, so you’ll also be boosting your brainpower when drinking this.
It also has a great chocolate flavor made with a texture that is easy to drink with almost anything you want, from coffee to milk. It makes you quite full, and it’s easy to go overboard with a small scoop, so be aware of the consistency before making your shake.
- It has a great flavor that can taste good with almost any kind of shake you may like to make.
- It’s very healthy for you and will provide your body with a large number of nutrients that you need.
- It’s free of many harmful ingredients found in other powders, so you can be sure that you’re drinking a safe protein shake.
- It’s ideal for those with dairy or soy allergies who want to find a safe protein to drink that won’t cause adverse reactions.
- It fills you up quickly, so you don’t have to use a lot of product in one shake.
- It does cause some gas, but when it comes to the nutrients provided, some people are willing to overlook this.
- The smell may be a bit off-putting for some people.
A great option for those who want to avoid all the bad stuff, Elevate Nutrition is a vegan powder that is low carb, sugar-free, and packed full of 24g of protein per serving. As a certified-vegan product with no artificial flavors and dairy and soy-free, it really is one of the safest options for anyone who may be intolerant to traditional powders.
The Elevate powder is easy to blend with a smooth consistency, so you can drink it with your morning coffee or favorite post-workout smoothie. It has the amino acids your body needs and is high in BCAAs and glutamine so that you can be sure to get the energy boost you need.
Made without sugar or stevia, you don’t have to worry about extra calories or an unpleasant aftertaste when drinking this popular protein powder. It’s also jam-packed of the nutrients that your body needs to function properly, like vitamins and minerals.
- The chocolate brownie flavor is often compared to chocolate milk, making it a great-tasting option.
- It’s free of all kinds of harmful ingredients and chemicals, so you can be sure that you’re giving your body safe and healthy protein.
- It’s easy on sensitive stomachs, making it a favorite for those who may have a sensitivity to other powders.
- It’s smooth and easy to blend, which is always an attractive feature for your morning powder.
- It’s high in protein, so you don’t have to worry about adding other proteins to your supplement shake.
- The aftertaste may not be everyone’s favorite.
- The chocolate flavor tastes a lot like coffee, which may not be everyone’s favorite flavor.
One of the highlights of this vegan option is its price. A bit lower-priced as similar options, it’s a cheaper powder that you can try if you’re looking for a plant-based protein powder. The chocolate flavor is decent, and because the powder has digestive enzymes, it’s easy for you to digest—which isn’t always the case with more traditional powders.
The powder has stevia in it, which isn’t everyone’s preferred sweetener, but it’s also made from superfoods like kale and acai, so you can be sure that you’re giving your body the good stuff.
Gluten-free, dairy-free, and whey-free, this is a favorite for those who may have sensitivities to these ingredients. It’s also a low-carb option for those who are concerned about gaining weight from their powder. Unfortunately, some people have a hard time getting past the aftertaste, which can be overbearing in some shakes.
- It has a lot of superfoods as ingredients, so you’ll be providing your body with a lot of necessary nutrients.
- It tastes great with a variety of ingredients and drinks, so you can mix it with whatever you like.
- It blends well, so you can easily prepare your protein shake.
- It’s ideal for those with intolerance to typical protein powder ingredients.
- It’s full of the amino acids and protein that you need in your muscle recovery shake.
- It’s a bit pricey for the amount of product offered, so consider this before purchase.
- The aftertaste is quite nasty, which makes it hard to want to drink this powder.
When Should You Take Protein Powders?
As you consider the above-mentioned powders, you may be wondering when is a good time to drink your shake or eat your protein cookies. The good thing about protein is that you can have it at any time of the day and still receive its benefits. There are, however, certain times when you can drink it for specific results. If you have certain goals or reasons for your protein shake, consider how and when you should take your powder. Here are some examples:
- Want an energy boost? Try drinking it in the morning before you hit the gym. A good time to do so is about half an hour before your workout. It can help you to have the energy and mental focus you need to get through your exercise. Not only that, but the effects of the energy boost can last throughout the day so that you can feel energetic and have sharper mental focus throughout the day.
- Looking for muscle recovery benefits? Protein is also good for your muscle recovery, so a lot of people like to drink it after their workouts. Because you’ve worked your body hard and may have a breakdown of muscle tissue, the right amount of protein can help your tissue repair, which in turn will lead to the gains at the gym that you’re looking for. Some people prefer drinking their shake after a workout, as some protein shakes tend to bloat or fill you up, so this way they avoid working out on what can feel like a full stomach.
- Bedtime milkshakes are good for you. When you drink a casein protein before sleepy time, you’re providing your body with all the nutrients and good stuff that may have been depleted during your day and workout. It’s also helpful for getting to sleep, which is always beneficial for your workout goals. Just make sure that you’re not drinking a powder with caffeine in it, as this will do nothing good your fitness goals. Sleep is just as important for muscle gain or weight loss as your diet and workout are.
How Much Should You Take
How much protein you should take is largely dependent on the goals that you have in your workout routine and which kind of powder you’re buying. For example, if you’re looking to build clean muscle, but have bought a powder that is high in carbs, you’ll want to avoid drinking too much.
They say that your protein intake for maintaining ketosis is around 0.6g to 0.8 per each pound of lean body mass. Some people may need a bit more protein depending on their level of fitness, weight goals, etc. For many people who are hoping to achieve the perfect balance in their Keto diet goals, 15% of macros should be protein on a daily basis, so it depends on how much you can get from the supplement that you’re drinking.
Most people are fine with one protein shake per day, while others like to drink one in the morning for energy and another later on after their workout for muscle recovery benefits.
Before investing in a protein powder, make sure to pay attention to the facts on what is in the ingredients. You want to be sure that you’re getting one that will help you reach your specific goals for your protein intake.
What Nutrients Are Important
As you can imagine, if you’re hoping to get benefits from your protein powders, you’ll want to make sure that it is high in protein. Some of the better ones offer up to 25g to 30g per serving, which is beneficial in helping you to get a good amount of what should be your daily intake of protein.
Other very beneficial nutrients found in several options are dietary fiber and collagen, which are both very helpful for your overall health, from a healthy digestive system to healthy hair and nails, but they also help your body to absorb the protein and if you’re someone who is drinking protein shakes as supplements for certain meals, then the more vitamins and minerals the better.
If you’re someone who is drinking protein shakes as a supplement for a meal, you’ll want to make sure that it’s full of all the good nutrients, which include everything from a healthy amount of protein to dietary fibers, vitamins, minerals, and collagen. The more nutrition provided by your protein powder, the better, although be careful where the nutrients and protein are coming from.
It’s also important to pay attention to different types of men and women. While most protein powders are fine for both genders, there are some that may be especially beneficial for the ladies thanks to the high amount of collagen and metabolism-boosting proteins found in them.
Some proteins may cause you to bloat or gain weight if they’re milk-based and you have a propensity to weight gain while others are soy-based and if you have a soy intolerance or allergy, you could end up with some serious issues.
There are solutions to your need for more protein in your diet, and they are known as protein powders. The above list is full of our favorite options on the market, from those that have zero carbs to others that have sweetened flavors like chocolate and vanilla.
Some are approved for vegans while others are low-cal options for those who want to avoid putting on fat while trying to get their protein intake on a daily basis. The elevation of sugar in any powder is definitely something to avoid if you don’t want to get chubby from your protein powder, instead of muscular.
From cheap to organic to the perfect ketogenic blend, there are so many options to choose from, so take your time to find the one that is right for you and your goals. Whether you shop on Amazon or check out options at GNC, check out these top 10 options before buying to see if you find the ideal one for you. Which protein powder is your favorite?