As a softball coach and parent of two baseball addicts I often get asked about gear that kids need. The two most obvious ones are always a bat and glove, as those are really all you need to have a bit of fun.
However, when it comes to gloves for children and teenagers, many parents often make mistakes by just getting something cheap that seems to fit. But if the glove is going to be used a lot then, you should really take the same approach as buying shoes.
You can still get great quality at an affordable price, as the below list highlights. But you have to factor in size and comfort as well. If you kid won’t feel comfortable in the glove then it can quickly ruin the game for them.
So, you have to keep in mind that there are different youth baseball glove sizes with varying durability. If your kids wear the glove practically all of their free time, then investing in a higher quality one might actually pay off.
For the majority of gloves though, you will probably find that they will outgrow them before they become worn out and damaged.
Our Top 10 Best Youth Baseball Glove Recommendations
There are as many different gloves on the market as there are kids using them. These following options will help you get started on your search and you’ll definitely find the perfect one for your kids.
#1 - Rawlings Select Pro Lite
|| Durable Design||5.0 stars out of 5|
#2 - Mizuno Prospect
|| Variety And Versatility ||4.5 stars out of 5|
#3 - Rawlings Players Youth Glove
|| Cheap Yet Effective||4.0 stars out of 5|
Table of Contents
- 1 Our Top 10 Best Youth Baseball Glove Recommendations
- 1.1 1. Rawlings Select Pro Lite: Durable Design
- 1.2 2. Mizuno Prospect: Variety And Versatility
- 1.3 3. Rawlings Players Youth Glove: Cheap Yet Effective
- 1.4 4. Mizuno GPP1150Y1 Youth Prospect: Easy To Control
- 1.5 5. Franklin Sports Teeball: Fun Design And Easy To Use
- 1.6 6. Franklin Sports RTP: Ready For Use
- 1.7 7. Wilson A200 Youth MLB: Versatile Use
- 1.8 8. Franklin Sports Air Tech: Cheap And Eye-Catching
- 1.9 9. Wilson A360: Professional-Looking, Quality Glove
- 1.10 10. Easton Z-Flex: Cheap And Simple
- 2 What Features You Need To Focus On
- 3 Conclusion
One of the absolute best option to consider is this Rawlings Select Pro. Made from all leather, it promises durable use, so you won’t have to invest in a new one any time soon.
With a smaller hand opening, it’s easier for kids to control the glove. The all-leather lacing makes it a strong glove that can be depend on in the outfield. With palm and index finger padding, as well as cushioned finger back lining, it keeps hands safe from hard baseballs and makes it easier to catch.
Because the glove arrives game ready and broken in at 90%, your child can start using it as soon as it arrives. It’s comfortable to wear, which makes it easy to keep on during the entire game. Offering top quality for a fair price, this Rawlings Select Pro Lite is a good choice for parents who are looking for a great youth glove.
- Made from leather with leather lacing, this glove can last for months to come
- It’s design makes it a dependable youth outfield glove
- It offers quality and durability without breaking the bank
- Because of it’s small hand design, it’s easy to control
- It has padding in key areas, so your child’s hand stays protected
- The padding may cause the ball to bounce out easily, which could be a bit challenging for kids
- It may be a bit too small for older kids, so you will want to double check measurements before purchase
If you have a little one who loves to use bright color or choose their favorite one, the Mizuno Prospect offers the variety you may be looking for. With a full-grain leather shell, this glove is designed to last. It’s also designed to be use in different positions, so whether your child is playing outfield or catching at second base, this glove will work just fine for them.
The power close technology is also a favorite feature. It helps your little one to be able to more easily catch the ball. With a power lock wrist strap, it won’t slip off easily and makes it easier for your child to use. It also comes pre-worked, so it already has enough flexibility to rely on, but if you do want to break it in even more, it won’t take long.
Whether you need a left hand throw glove or right hand throw, you can find it in both options. To keep your little one’s hands protected and comfortable, the Mizuno has a ButterSoft Palm Liner with MZO Lining. Offering quality for a great price, you can’t go wrong with a glove like this one.
- It has a helpful power close feature that makes it easy for your child to catch the ball
- The MZO lining makes it soft and comfortable to wear
- It is available in designs for both right hand and left hand players
- The variety in colors helps your little one have plenty of options to choose from
- The unique power lock wrist strap helps to prevent it from falling off during a game
- Parents will still need to break it in a bit more, even though it arrives partially broken in
- The wrist area may be a bit too loose for more petite kids or smaller children
If you don’t want to spend too much money, but you want a reliable option, consider this Rawlings glove. The basket-web design is soft and easy to use, with a pliable shell that isn’t hard to close. With a Neo-Flex back and Velcro strap, it easy to adjust to fit your child well. The inner lining is soft and comfortable, which is important for kids, so they don’t get tired of wearing the glove. It arrives 100% broken in, so they can start using it right away. It has a nice flexibility so that your child can have better control of their glove.
It includes a small ball that is soft, so if your child is new at the game, they can practice catching without being worried about a hard baseball. While it isn’t made from leather, it is designed better than many cheap, plastic alternatives.
If you don’t want to spend a lot for your child’s first glove, but want one that can last for them to practice in, this one works well.
- It’s pliable and flexible enough for your little one to be able to control the glove well
- The Velcro strap helps to keep it in place and also adjust to your child’s size
- The soft inner lining helps to prevent irritation often caused by other gloves that are rough on the inside
- It offers the quality of a name brand without being too expensive, making it an attractive purchase
- It’s 100% broken in, so your child can start using it right away
- It isn’t as durable as some other options that are made from leather, so you will want to consider this before purchase
- It is quite small, so you’ll want to be careful about sizing if shopping for older children
This Mizuno has a smooth, traditional design. This is one reason why it is an attractive buy for a baseball purist who avoids cartoon gloves and goes for something they can be proud of—even if it’s for their child and not for them. It makes it ideal for kids who play on a team, so that they can be uniform with the rest of the kids.
What helps to make it a great option for a little beginner is that it has a power lock closure, so that it fits well and won’t slip off easily. The Patented PowerClose helps to make catching easier, so if you’re little one is still learning, this feature will be helpful.
With Heel Flex technology, it is a flexible and malleable glove, so it’s easy for children to control. The more control your child has over their glove, the easier it will be for them to catch. It isn’t made from leather, which could be a negative for some, but it is made from durable synthetic materials that won’t tear easily.
- It has a PowerClose that makes catching easier, so it’s ideal for beginners
- The power lock closure ensures a good fit and prevents it from flying off
- The design is attractive and traditional, making it a favorite for many a baseball fanatic
- It provides just the right amount of flexibility for easy control, making it ideal for the budding baseball star
- It’s easy to break in, so they can start using it right away
- The sizing runs small, so it may not last for that long for your growing child
- Some people may be disappointed that it’s not leather, but it’s synthetic materials are reliable enough
If you’re looking for a fun glove for your child that will be easy for them to use, look no further. While the Franklin won’t make them like an all-star on the field, it’s definitely a fun option for them to start off with. It’s light weight helps little ones to get used to wearing baseball gloves.
Soft and easy to squeeze, your child won’t struggle with closing it while catching. The technical mesh shell construction means that it’s easy to control. Available in a variety of colors, you can be sure to find the one that your child prefers.
Available at a low price, it’s ideal for parents who want to buy something their child can start practicing with. It’s not as durable as some other all-leather designs, but if you just want one for them to play around in at the beginning of their illustrious baseball career, this is it. It’s fun, it’s reliable, and cheap to buy. What’s not to love for beginners?
- It has an eye-catching design that your child will love
- It’s soft and easy to control, making it ideal for the beginner
- It’s highly affordable, so you don’t have to break the bank while seeing if your child likes baseball
- It’s made well, so it will last long enough for your little one to get some practice in
- It is easy to break in, so you can start using it right away
- The strap doesn’t close as well as some other options, which could cause it to slip off
- It has a large design, so it may be a bit awkward looking and fitting in comparison to other options
If you want a glove that your little one can start using as soon as possible, look no further. It’s designed for little children, so if you want your toddler or pre-schooler to start playing, this could be the option for you.
Because it has a lightweight design, it’s ideal for beginners who don’t have any experience using a glove. The ready-to-play design means that your child can start using it as soon as they get it.
With a Teeball-fit closure, you can easily adjust the glove on their wrist, so that it’s both comfortable and secure. If you want to start practicing at home, before they ever join a league, you’ll appreciate the ball that comes included. It’s soft and fun to use. It can be used for anything from teeball to softball, so if you have a child that wants to learn baseball, consider this option that is available in a variety of colors.
- It arrives ready-to-use, so you don’t have to worry about breaking it in
- It is lightweight, so it won’t be too heavy for your little one to use
- It includes a soft ball for practice, which can help prepare your child for playing on a team
- The glove has a special fit closure, so that you can make sure it fits them well and won’t slip off
- It’s soft and easy to close, making it ideal for beginners to get used to catching
- It doesn’t last as long as some more durable designs made with better materials, so you’ll want to consider this
- It is a very small glove, so be careful when shopping for children with larger hands
This glove can be used in any position on the field, so whether your child is an outfielder or pitcher, it will work. Made from super soft EVA materials, it’s flexible enough to allow for easy control. It’s also lightweight, so that it won’t weigh down your child’s hand as they play.
With your favorite team on the back, it’s ideal for lifelong baseball fans. Parents may appreciate this feature even more than the kids themselves, but at least you get to inspire them to like your favorite baseball team. It makes it easy for your child to catch the ball, thanks to it’s malleable design, so it’s especially good for beginners.
Those who play tee-ball will appreciate this glove, because although it’s designed for baseball as well, it works especially well for tee ball. While it isn’t made from leather, it is durable enough to use for practice or a season of baseball. If you’re looking for a relatively reliable option that can help your child get started in teeball or baseball, this is a good option.
- It has fun, eye-catching colors, making it a fun option
- It isn’t leather, but will last for quite a while thanks to a durable design
- It is soft and comfortable, so it won’t irritate your child
- It is light to wear, so it won’t feel too heavy during a long game
- It is inexpensive, so you won’t have to spend too much for a decent glove
- It’s size is a bit too big for some kids, so pay attention to measurements before purchase
- It won’t last as long as some other options made from leather, so be aware
You would probably be embarrassed to wear this glove, but your kids won’t be. It’s bright colors are fun and attractive, making it a favorite for little kids. The adjustable self-stick wrist closure helps to keep it secure during the game and also allows you to adjust the fit.
The glove is available for right hand throwers, as well as left hand throwers. Because it can be difficult to find gloves for left hand children, many parents appreciate that this one is available for both hands.
The soft foam design allows your child’s hand to feel comfortable and protected while practicing. Available in different colors, you can let your little one pick the option that they like best. Offered at a very cheap price but still offering quality, it’s hard to find a deal like this one.
It’s soft, easy to use, and affordable. What more could you ask for when shopping for a glove for a small tyke?
- It has a durable design and won’t tear easily
- It is soft and easy to use, making it perfect for little ones to use
- It is highly affordable, so you don’t have to overspend for a good glove
- It’s ready to use right away, so you don’t have to stress about spending forever breaking it in
- It is an attractive glove that looks good and is fun to use
- It is a bit foamy, which could be an issue for some people who want the purity of a “real” glove
- It is not a traditional design, which could be an issue for some people
Made with a full pigskin palm and web, this Wilson glove is built to last. Because your little one will probably get a lot of use out of it, it’s durability is great news. It also has a loop strap to help keep the glove secure while they play, so it doesn’t slip off while they are trying to catch.
The laces are well-constructed, which helps the overall performance of the glove and while it is a children’s glove, it looks professional. While it does need to be broken in before use, it won’t take too long due to it being soft and flexible.
Unlike many other gloves on our list, this option can fit older children or even smaller adults. Parents should be careful about measurement and sizing before ordering, but it is available in different sizes. It has cushion in the finger tips area, so your little one’s hand can stay protected as you play. If you’re looking for a decent option for your youth player, the Wilson isn’t a bad bet.
- It looks great and is an attractive design, which may matter to some players
- It is made from pigskin leather in the palm area and web, so it will last for quite a while
- The loop strap helps to keep it on during the game, so it can stay secure throughout the game
- It arrives almost nearly broken in, so you won’t have to wait long to use it
- It offers fair quality and design for a decent price, making it an ideal purchase
- It isn’t big enough for larger adults, so you’ll probably want to be careful about buying it for you
- The palm area lacks in padding, so you may want to be careful when purchasing for your child who plays in a league
If you would like to avoid spending a lot of money on your child’s baseball mitt, you could consider this one. While it isn’t as well made as other options, it has some ideal features. For example, the glove is soft and easy to control, so if you’re shopping for a beginner, it’s ideal.
It is easy to break in, which is always helpful, so your child can start using it right away. It has an attractive design that looks like one a professional would wear and dirt doesn’t show up too easily.
While it looks good and like it could fit older kids, the finger area is a bit too small for older children, so if you’re shopping for bigger kids, avoid this one. If you just want a glove that your little one can practice in and that won’t be depended on for real games, this cheap glove could be the ideal option for you.
- It’s ideal as a practice glove for a beginner
- It’s inexpensive, so you don’t have to worry about spending a lot on a practice glove
- It’s soft, so it’s easy for a newbie to control
- It has an attractive appearance, so it’s nice to look at even if it’s not the best one around
- It is easy to break in, so you can start using it right away
- It has really small finger space, so it won’t fit just anyone
- It’s not as well designed as other options, so may not be the best for your advanced baseball player
What Features You Need To Focus On
Shopping for gear for your children can be time-consuming. It’s easy to pick something for their size and preference, but understanding what they need and what they want can be a challenge.
Either way, when it comes to baseball gloves, there are several things to keep in mind before purchasing. To make sure that you hit the mark with your glove shopping, consider the following features.
This may be obvious, but one would be surprised at how often people purchase gloves without checking the size. If you’re an adult, you’ll want to use above an 11’ glove, for example. The sizing of the gloves above are for children, with many of them designed for younger children.
If you’re shopping for your child, pay close attention to sizing before choosing the glove. It can be easy to choose one just because it says it’s a youth glove, but then find it’s meant for larger children, or alternatively toddler-sized hands. You’re throwing your money down the drain when you don’t get the right size, so always check sizing before purchase.
Pay close attention to what is being said about the sizes when you check out different options. If someone with a 7 or 8 year old claims it’s too small for their little one, consider the measurements before you purchase for your child around the same age.
If you’re little one is only going to be practicing for a while with a soft ball, you don’t have to worry so much about cushion. But, if they are joining a team, you’ll want to make sure that it has enough cushion that should they catch a fast ball, it doesn’t injure them.
As anyone knows, baseballs are hard and can hurt. A glove without the right padding is going to be very painful. Avoid injuries and your child hating baseball by investing in one with enough cushioning. Either way, no matter what you use the glove for, padding is always best. Just watch out for options that have too much padding that only gets in the way and bounces out every time that you try to catch.
Where are they going to play? Outfield? Near third base? Are they a pitcher? All these things matter, as there are different designs for different positions in the game. Some gloves are designed for every position, while others will only work for one specific position.
Make sure to keep an eye on this so that your child can feel confident while playing and be able to catch the ball well. You also want to make sure that you’re buying the right glove for the right hand. If your child throws with their right hand, get a youth left handed baseball glove and visa versa.
When kids are learning to throw and catch, it can be challenging for them to keep their glove on. If it’s slightly too large, it can easily slip off. This is when you’ll want to look for a wrist strap and closure to keep it on. Have you ever seen a glove go flying? A strap does wonders for this issue and also helps you to be able to adjust it to their perfect size. Just make sure that the Velcro closes well or if has lacing to close it, that it won’t break easily. A faulty closure is like having no closure at all.
Children tend to get irritated much more easily than adults when it comes to their gear. While you can make-do with a rough glove, your child may not appreciate it and may even claim that “I don’t like baseball because my glove irritates me.”
To avoid this dampening their joy for their game, make sure that the material is comfortable to wear. Also, you’ll want to make sure that it has a breathable design that won’t bother them in the summer.
Along the same lines of design, you’ll want to look for a soft glove that allows for flexible movement, making it easier for your baseball rookie to catch the ball. If you can afford it and like an option that has it, always go for leather gloves. They look better and last longer.
Is your child excited to start playing baseball? Is their old glove ready for the trash, but you have yet to buy a new one? The above options are affordable gloves that offer quality and style, so you can get started with choosing a new glove for your little one.
From toddler-sized gloves to options that can fit both a petite adult and small child, there is something for everyone on our list. You don’t have to make a hole in your pocket when buying any one of the options on our list. Which one do you like best?
While an advanced player may not be able to depend on all of the options here, there are plenty choices for beginners. Is there anyone in your family who wants to try their hand at baseball? Make sure that they stay protected with one of our top ten glove recommendations!