I’m a huge fan of using kettlebells for all sorts of strength and fitness training, and if you’re one of my clients, then you’ll regularly be using them to get your body in shape.
However, when I ask my clients to do some of the routines at home, they most often don’t have the space for kettlebell workout equipment that would take up an entire wardrobe.
For a long time I was skeptical of the the adjustable products, but I simply didn’t see another way around it. So, I decided to get the team together for us to test the adjustability and viability of some of the most popular products available.
Our Top 10 Best Adjustable Kettlebell Recommendations
| #1 - POWERBLOCK Adjustable Kettlebell ||5.0 stars out of 5|
| #2 - Stamina X ||4.5 stars out of 5|
| #3 - PowerBlock KettleBlock ||4.0 stars out of 5|
Table of Contents
- 1 Our Top 10 Best Adjustable Kettlebell Recommendations
- 2 What Are The Benefits Of Adjustable Kettlebells?
- 3 What Features You Need To Focus On
- 4 Benefits Of Kettlebells Over Dumbbells
- 5 FAQ
- 6 Conclusion
POWERBLOCK kettle block is the one I personally use at home as it’s available with 4 different weight plates that suit my workout routine.
The pin is easy to move, so you don’t have to spend a long time switching weight plates in the middle of a high-intensity workout. Users commented on how they like how big the handle is, which may make it easier for exercises using both hands.
The weight increments go from 18, 22, 26, and 35, offering plenty of variety. A lot of people love the build quality and versatility of this option, making it one of the best adjustable kettlebells on the market.
- Made from steel so you probably won’t need to replace them any time soon.
- Good weight range to support your individual exercise routine.
- The design of the handle is comfortable with fewer pressure points.
- It’s easy to adjust the weight level during an intense workout.
- Positive comments about the general handling.
- The handle is a bit too large for those with smaller hands.
2. Stamina X
With six different weight levels at four-pound increments, you’re able to have a minimum of 16 pounds to a maximum of 36 with this product. This range is great for people who want to build up to more as they start strength training.
With a rounded base, you can also use it for push-ups and various types of exercises. The cast iron grip is a favorite for many people, as it reminds them of a traditional style kettlebell and also means durability.
While some folks mention the handle is a bit rough, most people like the size of it. Personally, I like how easy it is to change the weights in the middle of workouts.
- Wide range of weight amounts for more flexibility.
- It’s easy to change weights while working out.
- The handle is sturdy and made from cast iron, making it durable.
- It has a strong construction that allows you to work out confidently.
- Some reviews mentioned that they thought it was too bulky.
- Users mention that it’s a bit noisy due to some weights clanking.
With an adjustable weight between 5-20lbs, this product is ideal for beginners who want to start off with a smaller size while building up to more. Reviewers mention how much they like that it’s easy to take this anywhere you need to go.
For people with small hands, the grip on the handle wasn’t too large, which isn’t always the case with this type of kettlebell. The design allows for easy switching of weights, so that you may not have to interrupt your workout for too long.
People also like how stable this product is, so you don’t have to worry about it breaking or coming loose while working out. It’s not noisy, which means you can workout whenever and however, at any time of the day.
- It has a sturdy handle that is made from durable metal and yet small enough for petite hands.
- It’s easy to change plates, so you can keep your heart rate up.
- Reviewers appreciate that it’s not a noisy piece of workout equipment.
- Reasonably priced for those on a budget.
- It doesn’t take up too much space, so it’s convenient for travel and small garage use.
- The shape of this kettlebell might make it a bit rough on your forearms.
- Users who are used to traditional-style kettlebells may not like the feel.
While this option may not be for those who want to bodybuild with their kettlebells, it’s ideal for those who want to add some weights to their cardio routine. Reviewers mention that they love how the weight range allows for some toning during workouts without bulking.
The 5-8-12lb increments make it easy to build up to more without being too much weight that you may never use.
Because many women’s hands are smaller than males, the unique design of this adjustable kettlebell may make it easier to grip.
Just keep in mind that some reviewers mention that the little clips were difficult to use, making it a bit time-consuming to change the weight plates during exercise.
- They are highly affordable.
- Users like how portable they are and easy to use while traveling.
- Reviewers mention that they hardly take up any space and can be stored easily.
- The small handle is easy for women to grip, especially those with petite hands.
- Users mention that the weights are hard to change out.
- It is made from plastic and not cast-iron plates.
If your home gym already has a bunch of Olympic plate weights, you can simply buy this one and use it for kettlebell exercises. Not only will it save time, but it will also save a considerable amount of money, as it is a lot more affordable than your average adjustable kettlebell.
With a cast-aluminum body that has steel quick-release pins, many users appreciate the durability. Not only does it last for a long time, but it provides the traditional iron kettlebell feel that many people know and love.
The wide-grip handle allows for easy maneuvering so you can have a steady grasp of it during your training. Reviews mention that it’s easy to change the plates, which may be important for anyone doing high-intensity workouts.
- It’s a lot more affordable than normal adjustable kettlebells or a full set.
- The handle is easy to hold and allows for good gripping during your workout.
- Reviewers mention that changing weights was easy and not time-consuming.
- The pins are durable and sturdy, so you don’t have to worry about them coming loose.
- You have to have the Olympic plates already, or it will be more of an investment to use.
- The texture on the handle is good for grip but a bit rough on hands.
6. Kettle Gryp
This choice is ideal for you if you already have a home gym with dumb-bells. Reviewers who wanted to change up their workouts without making a large investment in new weight levels love how affordable and easy it is to use this instead.
Made from durable materials and sturdy construction, you can trust that it will hold during your workout. The clamp is strong and reliable and holds your dumbbell firmly, no matter how heavy it may be (I’ve tried it up to 40 pounds with no issues).
Some reviewers mention that the size is a bit too large, which could make some kettlebell workouts a bit uncomfortable (or even painful). As big as it is, though, many reviewers like that it is actually quite lightweight for travel and makes working out anywhere much easier.
- It fits a variety of uncoated dumb-bells.
- Reviewers like how portable it is and can be used anywhere.
- It’s much more affordable than investing in a complete set.
- The dumbbell stays sturdy while you use it in the Gryp.
- It’s built to last and won’t break easily.
- The handle itself is a bit too slippery for some people’s comfort.
- It does hit your legs easily while in use due to its large size.
If you’re really concerned about the noise levels and your body, this Hyperwear SoftBell is exactly what the name implies: soft and quiet as they are filled with sand.
The solid plastic handle may not be as durable as a metal one, but some people find it may be more comfortable. The size Might be ideal for small home gyms or if you live in a small apartment.
While the handle is a bit big for some people, the smooth texture allows for easy gripping, which some reviewers liked.
- The handle is slim and easy for petite hands to hold.
- Users like that it is reasonably priced.
- You can easily adjust the weight range.
- It helps users avoid accidents or bruising from metal kettlebells.
- It’s not as durable as some other options.
- The weight range isn’t as high as some people need it to be.
If you just want something simple without all the bells and whistles, this straightforward steel Kettlebell handle allows for easy use with weights that you may already have.
Users like how easy it is to adjust for weight increments, and while weight is limited to around 100 lbs, this is much more than some other adjustable kettlebells (I have tested it to 40 pounds with no issues).
Users mention that the build quality is good, so unlike some plastic kettlebells, this one is less likely to break up under heavy use. The handle is a bit big in some people’s opinion, so for those with petite hands, they may want to look elsewhere.
While this product does have a clamp for locking weights on it, some users prefer to use an extra spring collar to ensure that they can do their fast exercises without fear of weights coming loose.
- Highly affordable and offers robustness.
- It is a convenient alternative to traditional kettlebells.
- The handle is easy to grip and reliable.
- Users like how easy it is to change the weights.
- It’s designed to last.
- Some reviewers felt the handle was too big for them.
- If you have flat cast iron plates, some exercises might be a bit awkward with this product.
Offering 7 different weights in one kettlebell allows for a product that you can fit in any nook or cranny in your home. The adjustable weights of 10, 15, 20, 25, 30, 35, to 40 pounds, make it quite a versatile piece of fitness equipment.
Users like how easy it is to unlock and adjust the exercise equipment to the amount of weight you want so that you can keep up your workout with minor inconvenience.
The handle on the Kettlebell Kings is a favorite feature for many as it is made from high-quality metal that is smooth and easy to hold.
- It has a broad range of weight to choose from.
- The weights are easy to change, so you can keep up with your heart rate and workout.
- Reviewers love how easy it is to store anywhere you want.
- It’s weight levels allow for multiple users to share the use of the kettlebell with others.
- The handle is durable and strong and easy to grip.
- Some people don’t like how the shape of the Kettlebell Kings changes when you use less weight.
- Reviews mention that it’s a bit noisy, which could be a factor when living with other people.
What Are The Benefits Of Adjustable Kettlebells?
For a long time I was skeptical of using any kind of adjustable equipment, until I moved to a smaller apartment for a while. Rather than not having any equipment, I tried out some adjustable kettlebells.
Here’s what convinced me.
You won’t need a ton of space to store your adjustable kettlebell. In fact, it can basically fit anywhere you want it to. Whereas, a set will take up quite a bit of space. So, if you’re living in a small apartment, but you want to get the benefits from kettlebell workouts, an adjustable product may be ideal for you.
They cost less than your average set. If you don’t have a lot of money to spend on your kettlebells, but you do want variety, adjustable kettlebells might be a great alternative to spending big bucks for a big set.
Progress With Ease
With adjustable kettlebells, you can get what you need, and that’s it. Often with full sets, there may be weight amounts that you have no plan of ever using, and they fill up unnecessary space.
While it depends on your fitness goals and your routines, in many ways, adjustable kettlebells make life a bit easier.
What Features You Need To Focus On
While shopping for your adjustable kettlebell, consider the following features that make a difference in function and use.
Because adjustable kettlebells require you to switch out the weights, consider how the cast-iron plates switch out. There are some that take time to remove the one you’re using to replace it with the new one.
If you’re using these kinds of kettlebells for a high-intensity workout to muscle tone, the time spent switching the plates could get your heart rate down . There are different options for weight switching, with the most popular being a selection pin lock system that holds them in place.
If you already know what your minimum and maximum weight should be for your exercise routines, you’re going to want to pay attention to the amount of weight included on the adjustable equipment.
As you continue to build your strength, you’re probably going to want to do specific increments . Consider if the product you choose offers the right increments.
There are a variety of handle types, and while at first glance, it may not seem to matter, there are many reasons to pay attention to the handle. Unlike dumb-bells, handles for kettlebells come in all shapes and sizes.
Some handles have foam inside to make it more comfortable to grip them , but this same foam tends to get worn out easily due to sweat and use. You also want to find one with an ergonomic design that makes it more comfortable to use for long sessions.
You will want to stay away from plastic if you’re going to train with them a lot. Plastic just doesn’t hold up as well as metal. When it comes to weights, metal is almost always going to mean stronger and more durable.
Some people like rubber handles for a comfortable grip, but this material also tends to be weaker than metal. So, when in doubt, choose metal.
Benefits Of Kettlebells Over Dumbbells
Here are some ways that kettlebells can benefit you over dumbbells:
Ease Of Use
With dumb-bells, it can be disruptive to stop what you’re doing and quickly run to do a heavy set with dumbbells, while with kettlebells, you can have them ready for a workout like HIIT and simply pick them up when it’s time to do some weighted reps .
If you’re looking to build your dynamic movement, whether you’re an athlete or learning to power lift, kettlebells are very helpful for this. So, whether you’re a CrossFit fanatic or you play a sport that requires you to do sudden, fast movements and be agile, kettlebells could be very helpful for this.
Swings with kettlebells can be very helpful for building cardiovascular strength  and raising your heart rate. They require you to use a load of muscles that can also help you to see quicker results than you would with dumb-bells.
Combination Fitness Routines
They can be very helpful for active workouts where you mix some weights and cardio together. It can be a bit hard to add a dumbbell to some aerobic motion while carrying a small kettlebell can be much more comfortable.
Because of the way that you have to hold a kettlebell, you’ll actually be working out more muscles, which is a plus, especially if you want to minimize the time spent seeing results but still want to strengthen your body as much as possible .
While it does depend on the goals you have in mind, kettlebells may be especially helpful for those who are looking to build lean muscle and not so much bodybuilding, although you will definitely be toning up with this piece of gym equipment.
Can you build muscle with adjustable kettlebells?
Yes, you can build muscles with adjustable kettlebells as long as you pick a product that has a high enough weight limit. For muscle gain you’ll need some pretty heavy equipment getting you to 40 pounds and above.
Are adjustable kettlebells better than weights?
Yes, adjustable kettlebells are better than weights as they allow you to do a broader range of exercises and workout moves. It’s much easier to achieve compound exercises that target groups of muscles for better results.
What is a good adjustable kettlebell weight for beginners?
A good adjustable kettlebell weight for beginners should range from 10 pounds to about 30 pounds. This may give you a better range and should be easy to use in those initial phases.
Do you need 2 adjustable kettlebells?
No, you don’t need 2 adjustable kettlebells, unless you have very specific needs for additional equipment. It’s entirely possible to take full advantage of the adjustability to switch out weight plates in a matter of seconds to not disrupt your workout flow.
Adjustable kettlebells simply make it easier to have all the equipment you need, even without a lot of extra space. Whether you need them for traveling or for your garage gym, adjustable kettlebells are beneficial in more ways than one.
Of all the products I tested out, I would recommend the Powerblock adjustable kettlebell option as it provides everything from durability to weight range. I just find it doesn’t interrupt my kettlebell exercise routine too much.
Order yours today, and make sure you post some details about how you integrated them with your kettlebell workout routine on our Facebook page.