One of the biggest problems when getting some home exercise equipment is space. If you’ve ever seen the racks of weights at the gym, then you understand what I’m talking about.
But it’s not only the space.
Buying 10 pairs of dumbbells is also going to cost you a fortune, so you’d want to be using them a lot. The good news is though that you do have an option by investing in an adjustable set. And in recent years, they have become increasingly better in quality and usability.
When I first saw these about 10 years ago, they were extremely limited and flimsy. But a lot of my clients, including bodybuilders, have been using them in recent years, so I decided to take a look and research them online.
Here is what I found.
Our Top 10 Best Adjustable Weights Recommendations
Owning the right pair of adjustable weights can make a big difference in your workout. The following options are some of the best-rated ones that multiple gym-goers have raved about online.
From small changeable dumbells to large weighted barbells, there is something for every type of gym fanatic on this list.
#1 - Bowflex SelectTech 552
|| Make workouts easier||5.0 stars out of 5|
#2 - Merax Deluxe
|| Space saver||4.5 stars out of 5|
#3 - Power Block GF-SPDBLK24
|| Cheap set but good.||4.0 stars out of 5|
Table of Contents
- 1 Our Top 10 Best Adjustable Weights Recommendations
- 2 What Features You Need To Focus On
- 3 Frequently Asked Questions
- 4 Conclusion
The Bowflex SelectTech helps to make workouts easier because it offers 15 sets of weights in one. Amazon reviewers with small home gyms appreciate the fact that having multiple dumbbells lying around is no longer a necessity.
While many people don’t like the fact that these dumbbells are made out of a mostly-plastic design, they do have positives, like the comfortable grip and the way that users can change the weight level as frequently as they want to.
They don’t go much higher than 52.2lbs, so if you’re someone who needs heavier weight for lifting, you may need a different option. For anyone who is looking to save money while being able to switch up with the weight amount they work out with, these could be ideal for you. Some people consider them to be a bit bulky, but that’s part and parcel of using adjustable weights.
- They allow for flexibility in workouts, so you can quickly change your weight amount.
- They have a comfortable grip, which is helpful for a long workout.
- It is more affordable to purchase these than a set of dumbbells.
- Many reviews appreciate the fact that using this adjustable set of weight helps to save space in smaller homes.
- Users consider them to be very easy to use, so you can incorporate them into almost any workout.
- Some reports that the plastics can break under very heavy use.
2. Merax Deluxe
Combining 12 sets of different weight amounts, the Merax Deluxe is a product that many homeowners appreciate due to the fact that it’s a space saver. For bodybuilders or people who want to gain some extra muscle, the fact that the Merax goes up to 71lbs is an attractive factor.
The weight on this set is in kilograms, which could throw you off if you usually read weight in pounds. This isn’t a big deal for most people, but it may be for some. Several people simply print out a chart to follow for when they forget what the weight is in pounds. Many Amazon users found that the weights were easy to set up and adjust for their personal workouts.
The handles aren’t as comfortable as on some other options, but many consider the compact size to be ideal for people who don’t have much space for a large home gym. They aren’t as cheap as some other products, but they do help people save money they’d spend on full sets of dumbbells.
- They have a decent compact size that allows for easy storage.
- Amazon users appreciate how high the weight amount goes.
- They have a decent quality as they’re made from robust materials, making them a durable option.
- The weight is easy to interchange, making them very convenient for your workouts.
- The locking mechanism is reliable, so you can safely workout with them.
- The weight is in kilograms which could be a negative factor if you prefer reading it in pounds.
If you’ve been looking for a cheap set, this could be the ideal one for you. The weights adjust from 3lbs up to 24, so it’s ideal for those who want to tone without bulking up. Many reviews state how comfortable the padded handles are, which is also a beneficial feature to keep your wrists safe.
While some users found that it takes some time to learn how to adjust the weight, once you figure it out, it becomes quite simple. Many suggest to pull the pin out on a flat surface and not on a place like a carpet, etc.
If you’re someone who likes to do various workouts in one quick routine, then you’ll like that the pin-style slide does make for an easy-to-change dumbbell set.
While these are considered to be durable by many, one Amazon reviewer states to watch out for the weight selector piece, as it’s made out of plastic and can break easily, rendering the weight useless.
Many people think that these are ideal for those who want a space-saving alternative to individual dumbbells and for those who aren’t worried about bulking up.
- The weights are easy to change on this pair of adjustable weights, so you can use them for a variety of workouts.
- Some beginners appreciate how easy they are to adjust to help them get started.
- The price is better than some other similar options, which many budget-shoppers will appreciate.
- They are sturdy and quite durable, which is something most Amazon reviewers looked for when shopping for adjustable weights.
- They are comfortable to workout with, making it easy to use them for long workouts.
- Some people don’t like that it’s challenging to adjust the weights on the carpet.
- They are a bit noisy, which could be an issue in shared living environments.
Who has room for 22 pairs of dumbbells? Unless you have a very large home gym, the PowerBlock is a great alternative. Replacing 22 pairs of dumbbells and offering 1575lbs of weight, this may be the ideal option for you. In fact, they can be expanded to 90lbs, making them a favorite for reviewers who were looking for options to help them in their bodybuilding.
Many consider them to be stable and sturdy, so they are a more durable option than some other products. Amazon users also state that they are easy to use, which you can bet is an attractive feature when it comes to your home weights. This is especially ideal for people who do high-intensity workouts with a variety of exercises. You want to be able to change your weights as fast as possible.
They are a bit pricier than other options on our list, but many users deem them worthy of a high price, thanks to their versatility and weight options. The interchangeable weight is ideal for those who are looking for multi-weighted dumbbells that offer you the opportunity to progress.
- Many users comment on how durable this product is, making them a favorite.
- They are easy to use, and users can quickly change between weights.
- The design is user-friendly, so you won’t have to stress while in the middle of a workout.
- Users commend them for the comfortable grip and stable feel during workouts.
- The labelled weights are actually a bit off by about ½ lb, so it’s important to pay attention to this before purchase.
- They are a bit higher-priced than some similar options.
If you were looking for a set that has the promise of durability, many love that this option has cast iron weight plates. The enamel finish is rust-free, so that’s another feature that users appreciate. The start lock collars have threaded ends that make it easy to change your weights, but also keep you safe during your workout. Be aware that some users had problems with them when trying to use the highest amount of weight.
Because of the compact size, those with small gyms will like that they don’t have to find room for a bunch of individual weights. Many people like how affordable this option is for what it offers.
Amazon reviewers were pretty happy about the fact that there is a lot of variety in the weights included on this set, with 5lbs going up to 100lbs. If you are someone who wants to increase over time, this could be what you’ve been looking for.
They are also chip-resistant, which means that they’ll stay looking pretty for months to come. For those who ware looking for a pretty versatile option that is also one of the more durable options that people reviewed, this could be the perfect choice for you.
- They are quite durable, according to many Amazon users.
- They have a huge variety of weight amounts for you to choose from.
- The compact size makes it easy to find room for them in your home gym.
- The lock closure ensures you’ll stay safe during your workout.
- Many users commented on how they are quite affordable for the great quality they provide.
- The fact that the collars have to be twisted to stay on seems time-consuming to some users.
- There are some sharp edges on the threads, so be aware before purchase.
They may look like your average dumbbell, but the Yes4All is a very easy-to-use adjustable dumbbell set that people rave about. With the ability to lift up to 100 pounds on each set, many “hardcore” bodybuilders appreciate this set.
Many reviewers like how the handle is made from textured chrome, allowing for a very sturdy grip. Also, you don’t have to worry about weights dropping during your workout, thanks to the star-lock collars that many Amazon reviewers say work well on this set.
Although the weight can go pretty high, some bodybuilders who are planning to lift big, aren’t able to, due to the fact that the set’s weight plates are short and thick.
One thing that many users love is how affordable this set is while still promising quality. While some people weren’t crazy about the looks of this set, others commented on how looks don’t matter when it comes to how effective the dumbbells are, and many consider this to be a pretty reliable option for its price. If you’re not concerned about how they look, these are considered a top option by many Amazon reviews.
- Some users like how the plates are flat, as they appreciate being able to more easily stack their weights without a weight rack.
- The set offers fair quality for a good price, so you can be sure it’s a valid investment.
- Many reviewers consider these weights to be sturdy and reliable, so you can use them for a while to come.
- The selectable weights are up to 100lbs on each dumbbell, so many people like to use these for improving their weightlifting.
- For those who are always changing the amount of weight they use in their workouts, the ease-of-use on this set is ideal.
The Proform isn’t for the bodybuilder who needs to get higher and higher as they go but will work well for the individual who simply wants to use weight for their home workouts. 25lbs isn’t a lot for somebody who wants to bulk up, but most users who have bought this pair love how small and compact they are for easy on-the-go workouts.
If you’re someone who wants to take your weights on trips, there couldn’t be a better option for you, as you won’t have to worry about packing a set of individual weights into your travel bag.
Many people like the sleek design of this set and how easy it is to change the weights. While they are a bit noisy and do click while changing the weight amount or moving them, otherwise they are a great deal for the price.
Both men and women who aren’t looking for serious mass gain appreciate how easy it is to use this lightweight dumbbell set.
- They are perfect for someone who wants to travel with them due to their compact size.
- Users appreciate the attractive aesthetics on this set.
- They are ideal for beginners who don’t need a high amount of weight for their workouts.
- Reviewers comment on their durability, so you can be sure to depend on them for a while.
- They are an ideal size for small home gyms.
Users definitely don’t complain about the price of these dumbbells. They also offer a decent amount of weight of up to 40lbs, so you can get a pretty decent workout in as a beginner with this option.
Many users prefer buying these over barbells, simply because they offer both ease-of-use, as well as a compact size that makes it easy to use them in small spaces. The set includes everything from the collars to the steel bar, so you won’t need anything else with this option unless you also want to use a stand.
Some people recommend those who have workout programs that require quick changes to look elsewhere, as the clips can slide easily. If you care about durability, as well as ease-of-use, there are honestly some better ones on the market, according to many reviews. The very low price on this option is what have them remaining popular for many Amazon shoppers.
- They are a bit cheaply made in comparison to other options.
- The clips aren’t that great for those who are looking to be able to change their weights quickly.
They look like your average weights found at the gym, except it’s the weights you need in one weight. This adjustable dumbbell set is a favorite for many, offering weight levels between 10-90lbs, which makes them ideal for people who want versatility in the amount they can lift.
Many weightlifters comment on how comfortable the grip is on the Popsport that allows for a non-slip grip, which is something highly important when working out. You never know when you’ll start sweating. The metal plates also have a molding around them that helps to keep your weights quiet during workouts, which is definitely something people appreciate in shared households.
If you’re worried about where you’ll be putting your weights down after use and don’t want to ruin your home’s floors or your weights, the included cradle is a favorite feature in this option. It makes for very easy storage that many users are happy to have. This set also has high-erosion resistance, so if you use them outdoors, they’re more apt to last than some other options on this list.
- Many people love the sturdy construction of this product.
- The weights are great for saving space in smaller home gyms.
- Amazon reviewers love how many interchangeable weights are included on this set.
- The non-slip grip is a favorite feature for many people who use this option.
- Many people like the look of this product, as opposed to some of the other bulkier-looking ones.
- Some users have noted that the weights can get stuck every now and then.
- It is only one dumbbell and not two, which some people would prefer.
What Features You Need To Focus On
As you’re looking for the right set for you, what do you need to look for? Everyone is different, and everybody is looking for different things. When it comes to your dumbbells or barbell set, what you choose is largely based on preference, although many weightlifters have recommendations on what’s best for specific styles. Take a look at which features can be important for you to pay attention to when shopping for adjustable dumbbells.
The handle can be a very important component when shopping for dumbbells as you’re going to need one that can handle your workout. Some people like smooth handles that feel comfortable for your hands while others appreciate the rough-textured that offer a tighter grip.
A weight that has been designed with comfort and manoeuvrability in mind will make it easier for you. Look for handles with an ergonomic design that will ensure that the weights are still comfortable to use, even during a lengthy session.
Also, make sure to check out the size of your adjustable dumbbells. Some are longer, and some are shorter, and this can have an effect on your style of lifting and on how easy it is to work out with them. Ones that are too bulky may get in the way of different types of workouts so keep this in mind.
While most adjustable dumbbells are going to be compact, because after all, that’s what they’ve been designed for, some are smaller than others. If you like the idea of having a set you can throw in a gym bag, there are small portable options available.
You want to make sure that weights are locked in place during use, while still being able to change. A safety collar is typically used so that you can do your routine without worrying about weights falling. This is especially important with adjustable weights, as there is often a lot of weight changes. You want to find one with reliable locks that are easy to use, but that also promise safety.
Securing the weights isn’t only about keeping you safe, but it also means that you won’t pinch yourself or be distracted by clanking sounds throughout your entire workout.
Cast iron weights are typically the go-to material for many dumbbells, but you also want to pay attention to the overall construction. Handles made from plastic and even collars and slides made from plastic are usually what most reviewers warn against. They don’t last long and can sometimes be dangerous if they break easily.
Some reviewers have noted that chrome steel can often chip easily, which can get annoying if you’re working out and sweating and notice flakes on your hands. Pay attention to the material, and while better quality material may mean a higher price, it’s worth it if you’ll be able to use the dumbbells for a longer amount of time. Something else to consider is how much weight you want to lift. Cheaply made dumbbells with heavy weight on them are not going to last long and can even be difficult to use.
This can be a tough one to choose. Many people go into buying weights thinking that 40+lbs is more than enough for them to lift during their workouts, but realize as time goes on that they want to be lifting more. If you’re unsure of where your fitness goals might take you, choose an option that allows you to increase as much as possible.
Also, pay attention to many products that state a certain amount of weight while forgetting to mention that the amount is for both dumbbells and not just one. Many Amazon users have been known to buy a set without realizing that instead of the 200lbs they thought they were getting in each weight was actually only 100.
Keep in mind that if you’re hoping to buy this type of adjustable dumbbell for travel, that the heavier the weight, the harder it will be to transport these. Also, when thinking about the maximum amount of weight that you want to use, don’t forget to consider the minimum amount. You may have workouts that call for 5lbs, but the one you buy has its least amount at 10lbs. It can make a difference.
There are different styles of adjustable weights. You can have the slide-pin option that allows you to pull the pin from each side of the weight so that you can add or take away weight. The handle-twist option means that you have to rotate the handle to collect the weights while the dial style has the weights in a tray where you turn a dial to disengage the plates. Last but not least, the traditional one means that you manually slide the plates that have a threaded screw collar.
The one you choose is going to be largely based on what style of workout you’ll be doing and what you’re familiar with. If you’re going to be doing high-intensity workouts, many people like to use the ones that are easy to work with quickly, such as the slide pin.
Keep in mind that if there is no bumper between the weights and fastener, you may be in for a noisy workout.
Frequently Asked Questions
Why are dumbbells expensive?
The main reason dumbbells are expensive is that they are heavy, which them rather expensive to ship and transport. The larger the set, the more the costs of shipping will go up, which is why adjustable dumbbells are such a good option.
What is the best material for dumbbells?
The best material for dumbbells is stainless steel, but this can make them very expensive. The advantage is that they won’t rust, but this does come at a price. The next best option is cast iron, but you want to make sure they painted or covered in rubber to avoid rusting.
Are rubber dumbbells good?
Yes, rubber dumbbells are good, but keep in mind that it’s just a rubber coating. Underneath you’ll usually find cast iron along with a chromed steel handle. The rubber works great to protect the floors you may be placing them on.
What are hex dumbbells made of?
Hex dumbbells are generally made of cast iron and then coated with a hard-wearing paint. Cast iron is a great and inexpensive material, and unless the paint gets damaged and they are exposed to water, they will last for decades.
We consider a lot of these dumbbells to be quite durable and reliable, as do many Amazon reviewers. While not every option had only positive reviews about them, many people considered each one to be reliable and great for home use.
If you’ve been looking for a way to workout at home without having to take up too much space, these adjustable weight options will get you started in your search. Some offer durability while others are ideal for their affordability.
From the amount of weight that you’re looking for to the way that you can change the weights, everything matters in the long run so don’t hesitate to take time to research reviews to ensure that you’re getting the best option possible for your needs and long term goals.
Keep in mind which features you care about the most and then get shopping. These top 10 recommendations are a great place to start. They all offer fair quality and overall decent features. Which one do you like the most?