Of course, it’s very obvious how these two disciplines of one sport differ from a playing surface point of view. But there are a lot things to be aware of beyond the hard court and sand.
If you’ve tried out both then you’ll be aware of some of the differences, but for those that are new to the sport, we’ve put together this short guide to help you better understand.
From the volleyball shoes you use to tips that make it easier on you to play on different types of courts, there are many things that you may want to learn about volleyball, if you’re new to the game.
- A beach volleyball is stitched. It’s usually lighter than an indoor volleyball yet bigger. Most of the time, a beach volleyball (ball) is made of water-resistant material and feels softer to play with than an indoor volleyball.
- There are two players per a side in beach volleyball. Beach volleyball doesn’t require specialized positions or rotations like indoor volleyball, so two players on each side works well in beach volleyball.
- The beach volleyball court is smaller than an indoor court. This is because you don’t need as many players in beach volleyball as you do for indoor volleyball.
- A player can hit the ball from anywhere on the court in beach volleyball. You don’t have to worry about the attack line when playing beach volleyball, making it feel easier to play in some ways than indoor volleyball.
- Beach volleyball feels more active for players. Because it’s just the two of you on your team, it’s easier for you to develop more skills playing and you’ll find yourself much more active than if you we replaying indoor volleyball.
- You don’t wear shoes in beach volleyball. Because you’re playing in the sand in beach volleyball, most players will play barefoot. It’s more comfortable and easier to play without them. Some people like to wear something on their feet, so when allowed, you may see players using sand socks for beach volleyball.
- Much like other outdoor sports, beach volleyball is subject to weather conditions. Both rain and heavy winds can be issues for those who want to play volleyball as often as possible. If you are playing competitions, this can put a damper on your game.
- The indoor volleyball is molded. It is also heavier and made of leather. Leather doesn’t do well in water but it’s a highly durable material, which is why it’s used in indoor volleyball.
- There are six players when playing indoors. Indoor volleyball usually requires players to play a certain position and then rotate throughout the game.
- There is an attack line that must be located 3m from the center. This means that the players that are attacking must hit the ball from the attack line, whereas beach volleyball doesn’t limit players positions.
- Indoor volleyball requires the right kind of volleyball shoes. Obviously, you can’t play indoor volleyball without a pair of shoes on but you don’t want to just buy any type of shoes. Because of the type of floor that you play on in indoor volleyball, you need shoes that will provide you with the right kind of traction, as well as support and impact absorption (more info here: strivechallenge.com/best-volleyball-shoes).
- You don’t have to worry about weather conditions when playing indoors. Rarely will you see an indoor volleyball game canceled, thanks to the fact that weather has no impact on the game. You can play come rain or shine.
Which One Do You Want To Play?
As you can see there are various differences between the two types of volleyball. If you’re looking for a way to pass the time, get in good shape, and stay active, beach volleyball is a bit easier in terms of rules and positions, but it keeps you moving throughout the game.
If you lean more towards specializing in specific volleyball techniques and become an advanced player, in that position, indoor volleyball is a great choice. Either way, both types of volleyball can be fun to learn and become good at. In fact, many professionals suggest that people who want to play indoor volleyball professionally or on teams should practice beach volleyball. Beach volleyball forces you to be good in all positions, which will help you to have an edge in the game, no matter which type you play.